The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I roll up to my 2nd check. I see all four traps are sprung and one is destroyed.

There is a note sticking in the fourth trap.

I finish checking the line, go home and call the Game Commission. The dispatcher was borderline rude (like she didn't want to be bothered) and told me an officer would contact me sometime Tuesday. I said, "that's 48 hours from now, why so long?" She explained because it was Sunday and Monday is holiday.

I made up two signs,

drove back over to the farm and planted them along the tractor trail where my traps are.

While there I noticed they had come back and stolen two of my traps. They yanked the stake on one and cut the chain on the other. They left the destroyed trap and an undamaged one.

I replaced the two missing traps and the destroyed one and remade all four sets.

I stopped at the landowners house but he wasn't home. I have a call in to him.

I returned home and called the PGC to update the incident. I got the same dispatcher and she seemed even more unhappy to be talking to me. Hustled me off the phone just as fast as she could telling me again they would be in touch on Tuesday.

I bet if I went out there and camped out until I caught the SOB's and administered some instant justice the PGC and the cops would be out there a lot faster than 48 hours.

Can't wait to see what's missing/damaged on tomorrow's check.

·
Registered
320 Posts
That's rough. I know and you know the law is on your side in this one especially since now they have re-tampered with your traps. Look forward to the outcome of the reckless dog owner getting his butt handed to him. Keep on keepin on.

·
Registered
738 Posts
i had trouble on my line last weekend and the pgc dispatcher i talked to was just as ignorant and rude when i called i think thy need new dispatchers sorry to here about your traps being stolen and destroyed hope you have better luck catching the people responsible for it

·
Registered
679 Posts
cope said:
What a shame...typical answer from PGC, but im sure someone will try justifing there ignorance.
X2

Gotta love the PGC don't ya?! USELESS! Best of luck to ya. You did everything right so far. Maybe you ought to call the game commission and tell them that you saw somebody shooting hawks on that farm. I bet you'd get somebody dispatched a little quicker. In that case one of the officers would get to play cop. In your case they've gotta deal with an idiot... Which do you think they'd rather do?

Whatever you do, keep that spot set! I recognize it from other pictures.....

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I hope you burn them down LUG. This stuff happens far to often. It seems to me that John Q. Public is so misinformed. Deal with the samething here on the farm I live on. Dog walkers think they own the farm.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Set up a trail camera, and get photos of that jerk messing with your gear.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Bunch of sorry action by that dispatcher for sure. You did all right as usual buddy. Keep us advised as to outcome. I hope they get busted and they have to replace your traps and also get fined for trespassing.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
trappin4reds2010 said:
cope said:
What a shame...typical answer from PGC, but im sure someone will try justifing there ignorance.
X2

Gotta love the PGC don't ya?! USELESS! Best of luck to ya. You did everything right so far. Maybe you ought to call the game commission and tell them that you saw somebody shooting hawks on that farm. I bet you'd get somebody dispatched a little quicker. In that case one of the officers would get to play cop. In your case they've gotta deal with an idiot... Which do you think they'd rather do?

Whatever you do, keep that spot set! I recognize it from other pictures.....
Tuesday AM call the Regional Office and ask to speak with a supervisor about the person that took your call. There is no reason for them to act like that, they may have it on tape. I can agree with having them contact you on tuesday due to the weekend and the holiday, but the rest suck !

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
lug my bud is a leo he said put a trail cam up catch them in the act and go to the local leo and press charges they have to do it and the trail cam pic if you get them will seal there fate even with the wco

·
Registered
593 Posts
Wow, what a way to ruin the joy of trapping. I don't think I would have been able to reset after that BS. Especially after they already came back to tamper. I wonder how they believe your traps are illegal.

Maybe this kind of stuff will make people more aware of their dogs. With more people trapping chances of catching free roaming dogs will go up. I had a dog today. Sure sometimes dogs get out of the pen, mine do now and then, but thats my fault. And if mine would get out and in a trap it certainly isn't the trappers' fault.
Well good luck on this situation, Lugnut.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i would also call the local police just for good messuremnets

·
Registered
186 Posts
and what!? doesnt the pgc work on sundays also? i bet if you were in the wrong they'd be at your front door huh? i hope you nail these jackwagons to bad for the dog but crap happens

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
I've caught my own cats before. They USED to roam a bit. After being caught, and after 1 cat disapeared last year ( probably a coyote), the remaining 2 that used to roam some, don't seem to roam at all anymore. Well they certainly don't go near my traps anymore. Anyway, they got a swollen paw/leg for a few days and then were just fine after that. Now I once caught the same dog twice, 1 year apart at another location. The landowner and the guys who deer hunted there had seen the dog roaming before and warned the owners they would shoot the dog if they saw it while hunting. The stupid dog owners continued to let the dog get loose. It is a PIA to release a german shepherd even with a catchpole. It twisted it's body and tried to bite me a bunch of times when I was putting my feet on the trap levers. The owners are lucky I love dogs.

Lugnut, that is some GOOD stuff putting the signs up. Hopefully the WCO will get together with you and nail this idiot dog owner with multiple fines. In the mean time, be sure to carry for self defense when checking those sets in case this person is a real kookoo.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
welcome to sotheast pa . stuff like that happens all the time down that way , hope the wco gets back to you soon . rediculous that you must wait , someone must be covering that district while the other officer is off . shame that the dispatcher was so rude .

·
Registered
932 Posts
I hope when the gavel falls on them they are fined and prosecuted to the fullest extent........

Boy those type off people in this story really burn my a$$.....

I am really [censored] of after reading this post...

Don't lay down on them Lugnut, hit them hard.....

·
Registered
166 Posts
man I love that instant justice saying.Somedays you wish that's how you could handle it. however your on the right track.good luck .

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
dietsch said:
welcome to sotheast pa . stuff like that happens all the time down that way , hope the wco gets back to you soon . rediculous that you must wait , someone must be covering that district while the other officer is off . shame that the dispatcher was so rude .
Nobody is covering a WCO's district when he is off. Supervisors must approve a callout if the WCO is on a day off.

The rude behavior should be reported to a supervisor on tuesday.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts