The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had sets out for about three weeks and have caught 5 coons and 1 opossum. I'm not saying that I'm dissapointed in what I've caught but I'd like to catch a fox or coyote. I have hey sets, and scent posts. Had a coyote work one of my sets but didn't get the pan. I was thinking of making a few dirt holes with the carcasses of a coon I skinned out and the opossum. What do you guys think. I have sets in cut corn fields and in some pines that are in the middle of some pasture fields.
Here are some pics with some of my trap placements

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Try setting those crop breaks along those fence rows on the left side of your pics. I am asuming that the left side of the pics is west and top is north? In the top pic below the words river bottom the is a dark spot out in the field. What is it and it may be a good spot for some sets esp. since it looks to be along a tractor path and preds love to run tractor paths & trails.

·
Registered
295 Posts
the best set locations have tracks in them just because a spot looks good to us were not on the ground with u let the animals tell u were to set. i do the same thing time and agen find a great spot so i think set some traps and nothing but 200 yrds away there running like crazy. i had some coyote working my sets for 2 weeks well walking around them but wouldnt commit to them. tues i got a dbl on yotes.those traps were set out the sun after deer season so about 5 weeks b4 a catch. remaid and rebaited 3 or 4 times u just gotta keep them in and working for that 1 lucky night when they say what the he// and step in.good luck hope help this helps find were there running and youll catch them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
try to find some track were they travel make a simple and as naturl flat set as possible use some deer scraps or rabbit skin or scraps and give it a week

·
Registered
325 Posts
The use of the carcasses will help improve a location if there are critters to be caught. Place carcasses on the upwind side of a set. I try to place the carcasses so the expected approach provides high elevation and preferably scattered cover. Place traps near the cover.... Remove coyote from trap in the morning.

Bring the coyote carcass back to the set area and place close by. Bring a removed foot from the coyote and throw it down the hole. Bring the vent and place at a flat set or scent post. "Coyotes always visit their dead".

Repeat process until you have killed all of the visiting coyotes and there is no more sign.

Is there a reason you're not setting the left side of the property in the top pic?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wardog said:
The use of the carcasses will help improve a location if there are critters to be caught. Place carcasses on the upwind side of a set. I try to place the carcasses so the expected approach provides high elevation and preferably scattered cover. Place traps near the cover.... Remove coyote from trap in the morning.

Bring the coyote carcass back to the set area and place close by. Bring a removed foot from the coyote and throw it down the hole. Bring the vent and place at a flat set or scent post. "Coyotes always visit their dead".

Repeat process until you have killed all of the visiting coyotes and there is no more sign.

Is there a reason you're not setting the left side of the property in the top pic?
I'm not setting the left side due to time constraints. I can only walk to my sets and I usually have to check them after work so around 5-530 I'm out checking. I may put a set or two over there tomorrow.

Thanks for the info guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts