The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice on bow mounted trolling motors. I currently have a 42# thrust Motorguide bow mount trolling motor (12v system) on my 1997 Tracker DV-17. Issue is the prop constantly gets stuck and seizes when moving through weeds (mainly fish Canadian lakes). This requires constant removal of weeds from the prop. Battery life on speed 5 is about 3 hours. I was thinking of upgrading to a Minn Kota Maxxum 70# 24v system. Would a 70# trolling motor solve my problems with moving through weeds? They advertise a weedless prop but is it truly weedless? Space for an extra 12v battery would be limited to cargo area in front of boat so I would have to run about 17 feet of wire from back to front to connect two batteries. Battery charger is in back of boat and wiring is 8g. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I have a 70 Lb Maxxum on a 1756 G3 that is around 8 yrs old. Mine is the model with 5 speeds and does not use the control board like the variable speed model does. I mainly fish rivers in current so it gets used real hard. It will cut through some weeds but depending on how thick it is I do have to pull it up and manually remove vegetation sometimes. I have never had a issue with weeds getting behind the prop and wrapping around the shaft. Honestly, I dont think any prop/motor is 100% weed free. If I use it on the #5 (highest power) setting for extend periods of time (5+ minutes non-stop) it will trip the breaker. I have replaced the brushes two times and the armature once, but consider that normal maintenance based on how hard I use the motor.

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tony300wby. I have many problems with weeds getting wrapped around the prop and inside the propeller. I learned to carry an extra pin as I lost one once on the water. Will keep an eye out for end of season sales.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You mention batteries but not the size. I changed both motor and batteries to 36v this year and had to move around my additional battery until I found the right balance the boat needed. I went from a 24 to size 31 batteries and put it up front with the other 2 and it made the bow way too heavy. Had To move it back to the center rod locker. I also put on a 3 blade machete prop. I am able to fish 3 days on erie and still wasn't completely dead. I use it for steering only i push with my kicker. I picked up at an Electrical supply a rubber coated cable that has 4 8g wires inside which worked great 2 goes to charger and 2 for the battery configuration.

·
Registered
11,117 Posts
google "ninja grass blade"....you'll like it!

Thanks for posting this.

I watched YouTube and read the reviews and it looks like it will help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts