The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for good ideas on what tripods are available to purchase or homebrew. I would like it to hold a rifle in a clamp and be able to pan and tilt. The cross sticks are just getting tough to use. Pics would be helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
21,028 Posts
bog pod death grip has a clamp and sometimes on sale for under 200.00
i use the field optics pro-39 system, rock solid, thick legs, has the arca swiss- pictinny rail clamp system so you would have to have an arca plate or pictinny rail on your gun. they also sell a clamp for it that will hold any rifle for 299.00 extra (ouch) pro39 (1).jpg

·
Registered
367 Posts
I just bought the Bog-Pod Death Grip and really do like and does everything your asking for BUT is a bit on the heavy side if you have a long walk planned.

·
Registered
8,269 Posts
My suggestion..
You could go with
RRS VYCE with RRS TA-2U(gen 1)(TA-2U-SC gen 2 is only avail. )on FEISOL CT-3371

I personally wouldn't trust any other grip type...and have actually spun THIS thermal platform around as if I were spinning Tara Lipinski around on an ice rink...minus the ice
+I have ARCA plates on rifles now so I do not use VYCE unless I use other guns with general stocks. You can fling this right over your shoulder with gun in clamp and walk...

·
Registered
459 Posts
I use bog pod’s adrenaline switcheroo tripod. I got it for like $100 off opticsplanet a couple months ago.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Another vote for the Bog here. I got it directly off their website on sale a few months back for $130. IIRC, the aluminum model is about 8lb. and the carbon model is a pound less. That pound wasn't worth the extra $30 to me, since I don't much mind lugging weight around. No complaints thus far, although I've only used it on a few predator hunts. Seems very solid and reasonably easy to set up.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I just bought the bog death grip not too long ago. I haven't used it much lately due to shoulder surgery but it is definately the cats meeow....

·
Registered
242 Posts
I bought the Innorel ST-344C from Amazon, along with the Arctise LB52 low profile ball head, for an Arca mount and a Deathgrip Vise mount for guns with out. It's been rock solid. My buddy got me hooked with his Bogpod Deathgrip, but I didn't like that it couldn't also be used for a spotting scope/binos. I spent more money, but it should be a little more versatile, IMHO.

Hern - that's a great view!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I run innorel rt80c carbon legs with innorel lb52 ball head. I typically run acra Swiss direct mount unless I’m using a typical bolt action style gun, then I use a kopfjager direct mount reaper grip. The reaper grip has the ability to tilt as you tighten it so it forms to your stock. The top of the clamp jaws are slightly tilted inward so your gun can’t really fall out. I have put my guns in it and tried to get them out and I physically can’t pull them out of it. I can hang my entire body weight from that tripod (170lbs) no problem at all. With out the reaper grip it only weighs like 5.4 pounds I believe. If I was looking at tripods currently these are what I would personally look into :
Innorel rt80c
Innorel hs80c
Innorel rt90c
Innorel st344c
Ball heads
Desmond DLow 55mm
Innorel lb52
Attached are a picture with the reaper grip and a picture with it mounted via acra Swiss

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
Night Stalker Tripod. Glad I made the investment. Also got the pig saddle which holds extermely well. Much better than the Primos Trigger stick.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts