The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

tripod??

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  mauser06 
#1 ·
im looking for a good tripod for a point n shoot Olympus stylus camera...something small, light, very packable..something i will actually carry with me...

i see the ones with legs that wrap around things that may be awesome or junk..i dont know...that would be ideal...flat ground like when i got a shark on the beach i can capture pics like that..or in the woods i can attach it to a sapling or tree limb etc..

i did all this years archery buck with the self timer..it was about a major pain in the rear to get it balanced and level and not fall over after i hit the button and ran back to get behind the buck etc...could possibly even attach it to my stand and hit record and hope it steps into the spot i thought it would when i shoot..

but i dont know what ones are good, bad, etc...

any thoughts on what would work for me?? dont know how much id use it on the sand as you cant keep fish out of the water long..but i'd likely try it...i hunt and fish alone alot and would love to start capturing my own field shots...did well last year but it was tough..and some GREAT shots didnt turn out and i couldnt see them in the field to retake them...a tripod will solve that if theres a good option..

See less See more
#3 ·
ive been searching for something of the same sort to hold my digital to my treestand rest. my camera takes 30minute videos and it would be cool to get some vids in early muzzy season. I saw a realy tiny tripod that raps around stuff at wally world when I bought my camera, I havent looked since.
I just might have to get one and try it out. if I cant find one ill probably just get a cheap tripod and wire it to my stand.

#7 ·
With a point and shoot you shouldn't need a real good one since a pont and shoot are light. I just got a Slik Pro 700 DX and a Giottos Ball head they both hold up to 22 lbs. I paid about $220 dollars for both from B&H photo.

You just got to make sure when you buy one to get one tall enough so you can stand up strait and look in the view finder.

#8 ·
I have a Manfrotto, I think I paid $140 for it. Has q-r plate and a 2 -angle adjustment legs, whitch works great for setting the cam. on the boat deck( gives a very wide stance).

#9 ·
thanx guys....

i was actually looking for something like the "gorillapod" reviews on it, or something like it...no way im carrying a full tripod hunting...but if the gorillapod or something like it was functional, i can always find something to attach it to or a stump or rock or my pack to set it on to get the height right...

basically looking for a small, compact way to take nice pics of me and my dead critters with a self timer...

setting a compact point n shoot on rocks, logs, packs etc worked OK..but was very tough..camera liked to fall and not enough surface on the camera to get it adjusted right..had to get lucky....

thats all this will be used for..throwing in a pack and pulling it out when i got somethin dead and want my pic with it when noone else is around...

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.