The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some advise/recommendations on a new tripod. I would be using the tripod for recreation only. I do not currently own a tripod so i am not sure what to look for. I see that tripods range from $20-1200. I am just looking for a quality built tripod that is able to handle camera with 300mm. Let me know what you think. Thanks

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
What 300mm is it? Big difference in a 300mm f2.8 vs a 300mm f5.6.

Basically, it is all about supporting the weight of the lens.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TPlank said:
What 300mm is it? Big difference in a 300mm f2.8 vs a 300mm f5.6.

Basically, it is all about supporting the weight of the lens.
Good point. IDK yet
Im hedging my tripod purchase on future lens purchase.
Right now I would be leaning more on the f4-5.6

·
Registered
437 Posts
Yea, that's a pretty broad question really.

Size of lens is a big factor, but I assume that since you don't already have one that you probably don't have a super tele ie; 300 2.8

Another big question would be do you plan on hiking with it ? No hiking aluminum tripod is ok, but if you do any amount of hiking with it you'll want to get carbon fiber legs. CF legs are much lighter and make a huge difference when carrying a long distance but they are also much more expensive.

A ball head is the most common head to use for photography but there are other choices. Here again there are heavy less expensive ones and there are smoother,lighter,more expensive ones that go well with CF legs.

And then of course budget ? I doubt you're looking to spend $1200 but you're probably looking at between $150-$500 depending on which route you want to go. You don't want to go to cheap the first time around cause you'll just end up replacing it.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, quite the conundrum. Maybe what I will do is roll with a "light duty" tripod to support the cam and lens for now and when I decide to mortgage new glass I will add a tripod in the mix.

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
Dang photography a vicious cycle.... Upgrade a lens, need an expensive tripod & head to support it, then a new bag to carry it all, it just keeps going...

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I see alot of tripods for sale in the summer at flea markets ,maybe wait awhile and check some out ,i have bought a couple for a buck or 2

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TPlank said:
Dang photography a vicious cycle.... Upgrade a lens, need an expensive tripod & head to support it, then a new bag to carry it all, it just keeps going...
Thats what Im afraid of... Its like waterfowl hunting. IDK what it is with my tastes in pursuing hobbies but all of them are expensive! The proverbial champagne taste on a beer budget. And im not sure its necessarily the budget, it more of the quantity of hobbies... LOL

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I use a Bog-Pod. It does double duty for me! I shot my flintlock doe with it. I have the 3-leg version with the ball head. It switches over simply from photo to hunting. I went on a rattlesnake photo hunt and only extended one leg which I used to beat the brush. I have also taken it to baseball and football games and used it is a mono-pod. Great customer service and a good product. Do a google search, you won't be disappointed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts