The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone use triple 7 magnum powder?

any complaints?

I like how my gun shoots with it and how its easy to clean.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I use triple 7 powder,I did not know they came out with a new magnum powder???? It pretty good and beefs up the velocities toward 2000 FPS..It depends on what caliber and bullet you use..

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
apparently its new.oh I should have also mentioned its pellets and not loose powder. I just started muzzleloading and decided to try it and it performs well with 250grain hornaday sst highspeeds and cci magnum primers.

·
Premium Member
24,025 Posts
Been usin the T7 Mag Pills for 2 years. Approximates 120 grains 2fg loose. My TC Pro Hunter loves em pushin TC Bonded 250 SW's. My Early ML Season lazyman vacation from sparkin BP!!
I also favor the cooler Win T7 209 primers which result in much less residual blowback.

·
Registered
20,874 Posts
I used them last year and the accuracy was the same as the regular pellets.I've since started using blackhorn 209 and see no reason to change.

·
Registered
20,874 Posts
The blackorn is great.I can shoot all day and each bullet goes down as easy as the first one with no change in accuracy or poa shift.You have to use an oil based solvent to clean,like Hoppes but it cleans up easy.The flashpoint is higher so you can't use triple 7 primers.I just use regular CCI's.

Blackhorn is more expensive than 777 loose powder but you use less and you don't have to use more expensive primers.It's definately cheaper than shooting 777 pellets.The only drawback is availability.No one carries it around here and it would be expensive to have shipped.I have a buddy that drives by Cabelas quite a bit so he stockpiles me whenever I need some.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dce said:
The blackorn is great.I can shoot all day and each bullet goes down as easy as the first one with no change in accuracy or poa shift.You have to use an oil based solvent to clean,like Hoppes but it cleans up easy.The flashpoint is higher so you can't use triple 7 primers.I just use regular CCI's.

Blackhorn is more expensive than 777 loose powder but you use less and you don't have to use more expensive primers.It's definately cheaper than shooting 777 pellets.The only drawback is availability.No one carries it around here and it would be expensive to have shipped.I have a buddy that drives by Cabelas quite a bit so he stockpiles me whenever I need some.
so hows a triple 7 209 primer diffrent from other primers? I use cci magnum primers with triple 7 powder. should I not be doing this?

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
triple 7 primers are cooler primers, meaning they dont throw as much heat and when you use that kind of primer with BH209, it hang fires or doesnt fire at all.

If anyone EVER experiences a non fire, be sure you push your bullet back down onto the powder!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
The triple 7 loose powder used with shotshell 209 primers was causing crud rings in the barrel and manufacturers doing testing found the shotshell primer was deteriating accuracy so manufacturers started producing special low power primers which made better accuracy behind triple 7 powder..The Blackhorn powder you MUST use regular full power 209 shotshell primers because the flashpoint is higher.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
burk313 said:
The triple 7 loose powder used with shotshell 209 primers was causing crud rings in the barrel and manufacturers doing testing found the shotshell primer was deteriating accuracy so manufacturers started producing special low power primers which made better accuracy behind triple 7 powder..The Blackhorn powder you MUST use regular full power 209 shotshell primers because the flashpoint is higher.
i purposly got the cci magnum primers so it will shoot hot every time. I get a little crud ring starting after a few shots with the triple 7 pellets but that hasnt effected my acurracy.

my uncle has the primers that arent as hot and he gets a horrable crud ring.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts