The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody here own a trigg hound? I believe they are used for coyote hunting or fox. I had never heard of this breed until a few weeks ago. Even my vet was like a what hound, never heard of a trigg. Reason i ask is a friend of my fiances brother had black & tan/ mixed with trigg hound puppies for free. We had just put down our springer a few weeks prior so we were kind of looking. Hard to pass up free and cute. Probably not going to hunt him since i already dont hunt my gsp enough but he could be an interesting dog being that he is coon hound and coyote hound.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I hunted coyote many years with a female Trigg. She was the best strike dog I have known. A very tenacious breed that only quits when they can't go anymore on many occasions I carried her from the woods because she just could not go anymore. She is still hunting but getting old she is 12 years old and has some joint problems. I just visited with her owner last week and she was a little slow but stilled played with me. I would have no concerns about getting a Trigg just hard to find that breed.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats cool to hear. Honestly i dont think i will hunt him but i can see the no quit attitude in him. He is maybe 8 pounds and he will put my 60 lb gsp in his place and wont back down. Very fiesty. I just hope he is a good dog around my 3 month old son. He backs down from me and knows i am boss but he wont back down from another dog.

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
My Trigg had a very good nose, and liked fox more than yotes though ran both well with a bit of grit. A number of good running walker/trigg hounds were whelped by her that turned out to be very good outside hounds, several with a few cats under thier belt. Wish she was still with us I enjoyed hunting over her. Keystonepaul
Imagine Dean owning a Trigg.... there's hope for your plott headed head yet, bless your soul......
Hi Dean hope your Summer's going well and the plotts are good. Paul

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Hello Paul

I like the Trigg but still love the Plotts. They are doing very well. Had them up to the pen last Tuesday, my buddy took his 2 female plotts and the Trigg I mentioned but she is just to old and hung around us more than hunted. I had my 2 male Plotts and my female walker strike dog. We had a great day and the boys are learning well at just 15 months old.

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
Dean it sure is fun watching the youngsters continue to put it all together. Seems like they go from 15 months to being old, all too soon. We had a 12 year old and 9 year old pass this past year. Lots of old stories told about them as we watch our younger hounds get some seasoning. enjoy the rest of your summer. Keystonepaul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts