The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type/manufacture do you recommend for ease and safety.

I use a climber 90% of the time until this year. I hunt where I can use screw-in steps therefore I placed my screw-in's starting at about 12' and I carry in and place the old rope steps with the Chinese handcuff type of hold devise so I can remove them when I leave to keep my stand private.

I have been using the rope steps for 30 years without any issues, but I believe it might be time for their retirement if there is some better/safer/reasonable in price and can be carried in.

Please share your thoughts.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Lone Wolf or Muddy sticks ?

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
bearclaw folding steps..........they are a copy of the aAPI skysteps.......leave the bolts in the tree, take the steps with you...

EZY also makes steps like that....

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I have used the Cobra screw-ins for around 25 years with no problems. Don't think they manufacture them any more, but can be found on ebay. When I leave my stand, I take the bottom 4 steps out and hide in a nearby location.

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
i used screw ins for years. after putting in a set of steps, then discovering i need to move 10 yds, it's too easy to not move. i now use stick ladders, up in 5 minutes, no holes, and no worn out arms. i can, and will, easily move a set now.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Screw in steps are for all the young guys. When you get older safety becomes more of a concern - I only use ladder sticks anymore - sure a little more difficult to carry in if you can't leave them but far quicker and safer than the steps.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I am young and in better shape than 95 percent of hunters and I won't use screw ins. I like the rapid rails for sure. I don't leave them out. I buy the climbing sticks from Dicks if I want to leave something out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts