The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to build a few tree stands with roofs if someone has plans, pictures, tips, what ever would help. Hunting both deep woods and edge of a field. Keep in mind I'm not a carpenter so tree stands for dummy's would be great.

·
Super Moderator
12,914 Posts
Whatever you do be safe...all trees and limbs are not all structurally sound, nails and screws can rust and break in short periods of time. It can be very dangerous during the building process also.

Not to mention if it is not your land it is not legal.

You might want to consider a more portable stand like a loc-on, ladder or climber for the flexibility & less work.

Also deer are very good at avoiding permanent stands.

I once fell less that 10' requiring a 7" titanium plate with six screws and another 2 screws in my ankle. Wouldn't want that to happen to anyone else.

Have fun---B safe.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Built mine a couple years ago as a place to get in out of the rain and cold when needed. Two nice bucks have been taken from it so far. I built it in 5 panels in the driveway and hauled up the mountain and put it back together. It's designed so slide and swivel with the movement of the trees.....will tear them apart if you don't. Be careful, there are a bunch around here I would never climb up in.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Chris, I designed it myself after looking at lots here on Berry Mt. Ron, It's 4x7 inside...I have 2 swivel chairs in there to accommodate my kids that like to tag along.
Also...I used 1/2 inch gal lags to attach 4/4 angle pieces to each tree. The hole for the lag is a slot about 3 inches long and allows the platform to slide back and forth when the wind blows the trees. The upright posts in front have one bolt all the way through that allows the platform to rock with the wind too. The "box" is attached only to the 4x4 platform.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Perry county east of Newport about 8 miles. It's all the way on top the mountain ..... about a half hour walk for these legs. Always up for giving and getting ideas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts