The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are most guys building their own tree stands or buying them? If you build your own can you post a shot for ideas?

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
You can buy them cheaper and they are moveable a lot easier to erect...Price treated lumber and coated nails sometime...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aside from price the mobile aspect is pretty convincing. I have 2 stands that are basically platforms and was wondering how to dress them since they are there

·
Super Moderator
4,388 Posts
ChrisPhilly said:
Aside from price the mobile aspect is pretty convincing. I have 2 stands that are basically platforms and was wondering how to dress them since they are there
How old are these stands??

My reason for asking is, we has a fella tear up an ankle from a fall, when an older wooden stand gave way on the first Sat....Thank goodness, he had a radio.

At the camp meeting in Jan., we chose to remove all the wood stands on the property and replace them with 18 foot ladder stands for safety reason...The ladder stands will be placed in the fall & removed each year after deer season.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stands are in great condition I have 2x4 railings around but wanted to enclose. One is in the woods the other is on the edge. The one on the edge of an opening I wanted to enclose. Weather and winds kill you when you sit there but everything seems to move in and out of pines behind it.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I have a wooden one. For the sides I used 1/4 inch osb. The seat is made from a 2x6 with hinges so I can flip it up if I want to stand up. I am going to put a roof on it this summer. I move this stand a couple of times every year. It is made so I can tear it down into pieces in about 15 minutes using a cordless drill. Then I put it on my deer cart and haul it to where I want it.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
It's a no brainer for me...by the time you pay for materials and pay yourself for your time, then factor in safety and any kind of warranty, then mobility and ease of set up, I am buying my stands.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a mix of the 2 on our property. I use the ladder/hang on stands for archery season due to the mobility of them, and I have 2 stands built just for rifle season. One on the corner of 3 large fields, and one on a hill top where I can see a good distance all around me. This year I plan on adding 2 food plots and building 2 enclosed stands over them. Just like anything else you can find some good ideas on google. This is one I came across and am using as a guide for my summer deer stand projects.

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22209

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
summit viper climber, summit lock ons and quaility comfortable ladder stands and I use them all mostly the climber because of the ability to move. Safety and comfort that is what I look at.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Ill try to get a pic of mine upater. I have done much more than pic will show. However i have around 1,500.00 in it but it is well built and what i wanted. Besides treated wood being expensive the hardware will kill you. Fasteners and screws arent cheap and i was always going back and buying more screws.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Left hand side i extended out 3' so i now have a 4 sided walkway. Also i now have a polaris ranger and it will fit inside. I enjoyed last season so much and can cover so much ground. But its a lot of work and expensive, just getting material to the site can be a challenge.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts