The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say you are taking a tough angle, ten yarder. Do you guys aim a little low with a crossbow like you might with a compound?

·
Registered
779 Posts
No just put it on the money of where you want to hit. At ten yds the bolt is moving fast. This is with a relaxed deer. I assume that you are using a twenty yard dot. My son just did this on Saturday and perfect double lung.

·
Registered
19,662 Posts
Just a hair but I never aim lower than the vitals.

·
Super Moderator
13,502 Posts
Good to practice the shot before one launches an arrow at a live animal. Also consider the path of the trajectory as it relates to the vitals. The closer the deer below a tree stand the smaller the kill zone. They say aim for the exit point. If you want a good quick humane kill...you need to hit both lungs.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
One mistake new crossbow shooters make is to aim like it's a rifle. Looking down the stock, through the scope, it's almost instinct for a rifle shooter to aim right behind the shoulder and the lower 3rd of the chest. A fatal heart shot with a rifle. With a crossbow from a tree, this could end up being a low, single-lung hit. With a bow, I naturally aim in the middle of the chest (height-wise).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts