The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a friend give me an old Loc-on climber base that I am planning on using for a hanging stand. Since it's only the base there's no seat. I was looking at this seat, and it looks good, but it says for ground use only. Would any of you try it?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Ask yourself, what is cheaper-your medical bills when the seat slips off the tree, or purchasing a tree stand and using it as it is intended?

Let your conscience be your guide.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
if you were going to use just a seat as such buy the summitt and wear a harness!

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
I use a seat that has that same warning every time Im in a treestand. It should work fine, always use a safety harness!!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Thanks for the input, I know lonewolf sells a seat rated for treestand use. This seat reminds me of my climbing sticks, and I just thought it would fit my needs.

·
Registered
470 Posts
that's an accident waiting to happen there, you're going to get a lot of left-right wobble when sitting in it, plus when you go to stand to shoot, its going to be positioned right behind your knees, making you push out on the platform a little further than you should be. BUT....., Whatever you decide, wear a harness, and be prepared to "hang around" a little longer than you first intended. !!

·
Super Moderator
13,724 Posts
If the manufacture says it is for ground use only, why would anyone entertain the thought of using it with an elevated stand.

I would suggest one option be added to the unit perhaps a parachute????

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Wear a harness if you are going to use anything like that.

The gentleman from Butler who passed away after falling from a stand in new york this past archery season supposedly was using a seat in not attached to a stand. It sounded like one with a screw in step.

Food for thought.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I see no problem with using that IF you replace the top strap with a quality ratchet strap and add a quality ratchet strap to the bottom of the seat post (there are holes there to add one). Oh yeah, wear your harness.

PS - if you are pushing 250# or more, I WOULD NOT use this in an elevated stand though. Buy a quality, fixed stand rated for your weight.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
perhaps I will come across a hand climber seat or something better suited. I have a nice summit climber already so I really wanted to just use this as a hang-on, but I do not want to have to stand all day.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
buckspa said:
Ask yourself, what is cheaper-your medical bills when the seat slips off the tree, or purchasing a tree stand and using it as it is intended?

Let your conscience be your guide.
Amen

·
Super Moderator
13,724 Posts
Don't mess with safety. Buy and use a quality stand it will be cheaper than the medical bills. Pain is no fun and messing out on the quality of life through a hunting season or any span in ones life is simple not worth the risk to save a few dollars.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts