The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with the trophyline tree saddle? I have used stands in the past (hang and ladder) but never a climber. I want to get only one stand.... Any advice? Suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I have one and love it!!!
I can stay in that thing all day compared to a couple of hours in a conventional treestand.
I have both the ambush and the neoprene one.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you use to get up the tree? Do you use a ladder or sticks? I also have read that you need to make a platform... stakes? Do your feet get fatigued standing on them? knees? Thanks for letting me pick your brain. I discovered the saddle last year and like the idea, but friends of mine seem to talk me out of it whenever I bring it up.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
What I do is put two pegs in the tree at the top. Those pegs could be ratchet steps or screw in steps. Your feet will not get fatigued if you position yourself correctly. I use knee pads that people use to set tile.
I also use Lone wolf climbing "sticks" or similar type items, but not full fledged climbing ladders.
Like I said I love mine... they allow you to move around not sit in one position all day. Also you can put the tree between you and the deer no matter which direction they come from.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I picked one up last year, and it was very comfortable. Shooting out of it was very easy to get used to.

I made a platform out of six strap on steps. I cut them off of their individual straps and then strung them all on one strap. Makes it easy to "walk" around the tree. I too use the lone wolf climbing sticks in combo with a couple of strap on steps. I find it takes me a little longer than my viper climber to get into position. But, it's a lot lighter overall, as you wear the saddle in and ideal for walking in deep or areas where you can't find a good tree for a traditional climber.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I too have both the ambush and the neoprene saddles. I love them, however I use a platform since my feet are surgically repaired from a car accident. I use a gorilla seat to stand on or the top section to the lone wolf hand climber. The gorilla seat is more stable, but the lone wolf is much easier to hang. Lots of info here on the saddle, it's a great thread.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1024581&page=1

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great link on the tree saddle! I did find some of those "bordeaux" videos on youtube- he did a very nice job with those. I've been leaning towards the saddle but people tend to steer me towards the climber. I used arboriculture and climbing harnesses in the past and think I would feel very comfortable in one. Thank you all for your advice.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I would say that the saddle has advantages and disadvantages just as anything else does. Number one it looks like alot of preparation getting it on and set up properly before you could actually hunt. I wouldnt like the fact that your clothes and tether could possibly catch and knock bark off the tree sending it to the ground making noise upon impact. I also dont like the idea of having to watch where you put your feet as you move around the tree. I just dont like having to take my eyes off the deer. im not saying that you couldnt get real good at using one of those things, i just dont see it as being any benefit for the type of hunting that i do in the places that i hunt. I use mostly stationary stands strategically placed well before season opens. I have a climber but i mostly only use it when i have permission to hunt a new property when the season has already begun and you have to get in somewhere to get set up quick, or when i find that one of my hang on stands needed to be a little more this or that way and you dont have time to move it before the next mornings hunt. Ill stick with my climber, hang ons, and ladder stands but the saddles do look neat.

·
Registered
20,873 Posts
I have one and they do have a place.They work well in areas with smaller trees and in areas where there isn't much cover.Using a set of Lone wolf sticks,I can be set up and hunting in about the same amount of time it takes me to use a climber.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts