The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to post a question like this, but figured I could find an answer here.
Ive been trying to search the web for an answer, but havent found it yet.

There are a bunch of these kinds of trees in a wetland area close to my house. They have lots of berries and have kept them all winter. Im assuming wildlife doesnt eat them.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Interesting. Hope you get an answer. I have never seen them. They look like grapes but we all know grapes don't grow on trees. Any wildlife in the area?

·
Registered
24,761 Posts
wild plum eat one!! it will be quite dry now very flat single pit

Common buckthorn will have BLACKISH berries now as well don't eat them!!..they won't have a single flat pit...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There was a rabbit hopping around when I took the picture. This place is right along a main road so I've never hunted it. I've seen them other places but this area seems to have a lot of them.
Ill have to dissect the fruit and see what I find.
Thanks

·
Registered
24,761 Posts
Jeremey, if you ever hunt sgl 289 go up Steam Valley Rd just before the lake you willsee a bunch right along the left side of road as well. I have a dozen or so on my ground...also wet

·
Registered
3,681 Posts

·
Registered
4,637 Posts

·
Registered
24,761 Posts
Serviceberry also known as Juneberry or shad bush should never hold there fruit this long Also have serviceberry here also edible, will be the first blossoms of spring when you first see white flowers in the woods edge you will have your serviceberry, juneberry or shadbush

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did check the fruit. It does has a single pit. I will have to check these tree throughout the coming year to see what their leave and fruit look like when ripe.
The blackhaw description is the only one i have found that mentions retaining fruit through winter.

So do wildlife eat the fruit normally, but because this is a high traffic area the fruit on these particular tree dont get eaten?

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
American Indians use the Blackhaw for lots of medicines, most notably a remedy for Menstrual cramps, no kidding !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts