The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
You have a nice example of a serviceberry tree (also called a shadbush, shadblow, juneberry and several other names. Many differnt species, that even experts have trouble telling them apart..... and they also readily hybridize just to confuse things a little more. But it doesn't matter because when the berries are ripe (dark red/purple and soft) they are delicious, sort of a cross between a strawberry and blueberry flavor. Unfortunately, most critters including lots of songbirds, coons, and bears also covet them and will beat you to them most years. Bears will climb up the more slender trees and use their weight to pull them to earth, usually breaking up the tree top in the process. The stump sprouts of the trees are probably the most favored deer browse that I have ever encountered. Lots of folklore surrounding the names of the trees also. Makes a great piefilling if you can get enough, although I usually eat them out-of-hand. Oh, and due to their small size, the wood is seldom seen, but it is a delicate pinkish color and fairly dense.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, you confirmed my suspicion. Do they readily produce from seed?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
yes, seed is the normal method of regeneration. They get started near the tree, or wherever deposited in the poop of birds or small mammals. And bears, because if you are in the woods at the time when there are a lot of juneberries, the bear scat is loose, slimy looking with a distinct purplish hue and the small seeds are very evident. They need a lot of light to start growing, but will grow over a wide range of conditions. Another method of regeneration is by sprouts, wheter the top of the tree was naturally killed or was cut off by man. but that only works if the sprouts make it out of reach of the deer.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Also makes some darn good jelly.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will be picking some tomorrow.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If you lived on my side of the state I could show you lots of Paw Paw trees.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have seen Paw-Paw trees, but never tasted them. I would love to pick some this year. When do they ripen? I am thinking of making a trip down to the Southern part of the state. Are they common in creek bottom areas? Where would be a good area to look for them?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I find them inside woods. They are small trees with big leaves and the fruit is hard to see. The fruit is ripe enough to eat in the fall when the skin starts to get brown splotches on it, kinda looks like a green mango. If the fruit is not ripe it draws your mouth like an unripe persimmon. Pics of tree and fruit. http://www.blossomnursery.com/pawpaw_TREE_&_FRUIT.html

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
We have em, though they can't be in numbers. The few that do pick them keep it quite secretive.... kinda like a good Morel spot I reckon.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
The only person I told about them in my spot was the landowner who didn't even know what they were.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks John, I will have to look at some maps for spots to look on SGL's and State Forest lands.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
The only person I told about them in my spot was the landowner who didn't even know what they were.
Seems as though I've got some bidness to conduct in Lancaster County this fall......... coordinates ?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Hunter, you may not take them from game lands.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Fleroo- easiest way to spot serviceberry is in the early spring. They are really early bloomers and have a white flower, somewhat reminescent of a rose blossom. They are very early, usually earlier that even bird cherry. they also have a distinctive smooth grey bark, with darker vertical stripes. They will be in bloom before the redbud.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Then State Forest it will be.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You have it right, regulations only allow the fruit of berry producing plants and mushrooms to be taken from game lands. Fruit from trees, nuts etc may not be taken.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
John S said:
You have it right, regulations only allow the fruit of berry producing plants and mushrooms to be taken from game lands. Fruit from trees, nuts etc may not be taken.
John,

Wouldn't this tree the OP posted, be legal to Harvest From.... it is the ServiceBerry Tree...says in the Comic Book, Mushrooms and Fruits of Berry Producing Plants...

A tree is a plant, Correct?
A Raspberry Cane is a Plant, Correct?
A Dewberry Vine is a Plant, Correct?
Ragweed is a Plant, Correct?

Why wouldn't the Serviceberry and Mulberry trees be included in this, seeing they are called Berries and the Book says "Fruit Of Berry Producing Plants" A tree is a plant, Right?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts