The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 24 fruit trees coming my way in a couple of weeks, and am looking to cage them to keep the deer off of them. I plan to use 4-5' welded wire fencing and a couple of rebar or metal EMT conduit posts per cage. I was just wondering what diameters people may have used for similar sized trees? I don't want to go overboard (due to fence $$) but at the same time I don't want to shoot myself in the foot and waste time and money by cheaping out and going too small.

Any recommendations for cage diameter and height?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Cut in 12 ft. 6-inch lengths (4 to a 50 ft. roll). It gets expensive, but you need them at least this big around to avoid browsing. We use 4' due to cost. If you can prop them up another foot somehow, that would be better. 4' allows for easier pruning, but could leave some branches exposed to browsing.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. That would give you approximately a 4 foot diameter - is that enough?

I was originally thinking 16.7' lengths per tree (6 cages per 100 ft roll and 5.3 foot diameter cages) but I'd be looking at $350 in fencing alone. Maybe I was going overboard?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
IMO, unless you want really low branches, 4' is adequate. None of mine are quite that big, but I am not aiming to establish branches below 4' to 5' height either.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Thanks for the input. That would give you approximately a 4 foot diameter - is that enough?

I was originally thinking 16.7' lengths per tree (6 cages per 100 ft roll and 5.3 foot diameter cages) but I'd be looking at $350 in fencing alone. Maybe I was going overboard?
That was recommended by a guy that runs an orchard for a living that Bill Winke had on Midewest whitetail. If you are at all concerned about how much you're spending, I would go with the 12 1/2 sections.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I guess it somewhat depends on the deer browse pressure in your planting area. We use 4' chicken wire cages, with most being in the 24" diameter range. We do get some browse on the lower branches, but it allows enough protection for the trees to get on their way to fruit production size.....and of course it depends on how much $$ you want to shell out for the cages and stakes. Good luck with the planting!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Are they dwarf, semi-demi or regular height trees?

When you buy tubes you should get 5' because deer can reach to 5'. I'd suggest 5' high, depending on the diameter.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are they dwarf, semi-demi or regular height trees?

When you buy tubes you should get 5' because deer can reach to 5'. I'd suggest 5' high, depending on the diameter.
All the apples are semi-dwarf. The pear trees are regular. I think I'm going to go with 5' high fencing, as the 4' diameter cages will save me a good chunk of money.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts