The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on keeping the feathers fresh? I only use them for target shooting, until I become more proficient at shooting the curve. I put them in a hip quiver and try to keep them from banging into each other. Is it possible the vanes are becoming undone upon release?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
not really sure what you mean by keeping the feathers fresh?on another note are you using plastic vanes?if your shooting a recurve i would suggest using feathers and not vanes,yes it is possible that they may be coming undone on release,check your shelf to see if there's any wear on it in a particular spot,your vanes may be catching on it somewhere,other then checking your brace height can't really say what the problem might be.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not vanes... feathers. I've tried cock in and out with similar results. Brace height is within the recommended range- 7 5/8". Feathers get very ratty over the course of a hundred shots or so. If this is normal, is there a way to get them *somewhat* back to normal?

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Its normal for feathers to wear over time. What kind of material do you have on the shelf? They make any number of softer material like calf or seal hair that will quiet the draw and prolong the life of your fletching. My longbow has leather on the shelf so I have several arrows that looked like the fletching was chewed on. When I make my arrows, I use fletch tape so I can eaily remove and replace the fletching on my cedar arrows. No scraping or sanding required and no drying time.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bear hair or equiv. on shelf and riser. It is a Grayling Bear from the mid seventies. Another topic, but it smells like the hair is heated after release. Friction from the carbon shaft?

·
Registered
12,199 Posts
This is a good question. Yeaterday I was practicing and the first arrow I pulled from the quiver had an entire feather crushed and all wrinkled up. I have no idea how this happened. But, maybe, just maybe, it was in the quiver too long and it somehow got mushed? Brand new fletching too. Barred parabolic 5.5 inches.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a 60 AMO and 45# list. I have a longer draw length (around 30) and the shop showed me that at that length, I'm pulling about #55 on it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You may have to work on your set-up alittle more. If you are smelling heated rest material, the arrows are hitting the shelf too hard upon release. Could be the nock location or the spine of the arrows need changed. Feathers will wear alittle naturally from hitting the shelf, but I usually lose or break mine before the feather is ruined.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts