The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now Im new to trapping so be easy on me haha. I had a problem this year with a good amount of traps being dug up. I was bedding in peat moss. wore rubber gloves and did my best to keep human scent off the traps. What was I doing wrong that my traps kept being dug up? Was it scent? Traps not solid enough. Just wondering what you guys think so I can fix my problem for next year.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See...im not sure whats digging them up...They were all set for fox and unfortunatly where im trapping there was not much snow...but all tracks near my traps were fox with the little snow we got.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Old Timer Alert

I, myself, never tried this, but I did see a few instances where this little trick worked. I'm sure Datkins saw this one too.

Some old timers, when confronted by a digger fox, used to replace the trap at the bait hole with an old rusty horse shoe. Then a foot or so away conceal a clean trap well bedded in the manner of a blind set. The theory being was the fox would get caught while investigating the rusty iron smell.

Back to your regularly scheduled posting.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Re: Old Timer Alert

Just add another trap to the set, about a foot from the other one.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts

Was the trap dug and exposed or was it actually flipped up but not set off? Usually a coon will feel the movement and pick the trap out of the bed and usually not even set it off

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Most of the traps were dug up and not set off. A couple were flipped over. But mostly just dug around one jaw and not out of the ground.

·
Registered
864 Posts

I have a coon flip mine and not set them up this year. But it's not bedded correct I use all peat to bed with the dirt I dig sifted over t when I'm done but then again I haven't caught [censored] this year

·
Registered
320 Posts

Maybe it was the peat. Once i started using peat when the ground froze i didnt catch anything and had my traps dug up as well. Before that i was doing good.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts

lockin em up did you catch anything at all?How many traps where messed with and how many did you have set alltogether?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I did in fact not catch anything this year. Only had my traps out for a few weeks due to work. This is my first year trapping so im sure I am prob making some rookie mistakes. I had about two dozen traps out in three different locations. One farm and two other wooded properties I hunt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts