The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if it is a violation to have traps(they are tagged) out at this time of year? I was out scouting for Turkeys this morning and came upon a trap right on the main trail leading into the game lands. I should note that there is no water nor signs of beaver anywhere in the area. With people heading out into the woods for turkey it seemed a bit dangerous to have traps out. Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If you suspect a closed season violation, contact the WCO and report it, along with the name and address on the tag.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the trap was fired. I just wanted to make sure there was an actual violation happening and not a misinterpretation of the laws on my part before contacting anyone about it.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You didn't say the trap was fired. It is unlawful to leave a trap set anfter the season closes. If there is a name and address, contact the guy, perhaps he forgot about the trap or missed it when he pulled his line.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
John, isn't it a violation to even have an unset trap staked after the close of the season?
"All traps must be pulled by Sunset of the closing day."
I caught a lot of guff for leaving unset traps out while the ground thawed later in the spring.

http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2977189&page=1

Bradford, none of our legal land traps are dangerous to people in any way.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Bradford, according to the letter of the law, it's also illegal for you to touch that trap even for the purpose of exposing the tag to contact the owner. Just FYI.
The best thing to do is just leave it be.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
#17, i saw that post...and immediately thought of it when this one popped up!

maybe a WCO discretion type thing....we all know an unset trap cant catch anything....

ive done it IN the season when an ice or major snow was coming or i KNEW i was getting sick and taking a few days off....where i knew theyd be "safe" i left big sticks in the jaws...in places i was worried about them, high traffic areas, i put sticks in the jaws and hid them with whatever i could...

to me, the deliberate stick in the jaws showed i fired it..not a missed animal..and no one should be left wondering if i wasnt checking sets etc as my line was clearly set off...

cables i closed the loop and rolled them up and hung them off my support sticks..

ive never left any after the season...the past few years i havent had the ground freeze much more than a few inches..if i cant pull em i release the cable stake or cut the cable off my chain now that i run cable/chain stakes..

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
mauser06 said:
#17, i saw that post...and immediately thought of it when this one popped up!

maybe a WCO discretion type thing....we all know an unset trap cant catch anything....
John, what is your take on this. We never had lawful input or interpretation on the other thread.
What say you?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I highly doubt any wco would cite someone from firing an illegally set trap.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
John, what we mean is...you said it is illegal to have SET traps past closing day...we thought the law reads it is illegal to have traps staked past the closing day...

There was a heated post about it..frozen ground is a big factor in getting trap stakes out of the ground...some posters said theyve left traps out till spring because of it...traps were fired..but still staked..

Some of us trappers are using chain stakes with fairly expensive anchors on the end...everything welded shut etc so coyotes can't break anything..but if the ground is frozen short of bolt cutters and a loss of a few bucks per trap (and anchor and chain left in the ground for a farmer to wreck farming equipment on) it can be tough to get them out when the ground is frozen good..

Illegal? WCO discretion? Or legal??

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
This is the law" It is unlawful to:

14) <span style="font-weight: bold">Let traps set </span>after the close of the furtaking season. This is the regulation: Except on the opening and closing day of trapping seasons, furbearing animals may be taken by trapping any hour, day or night, during the open season. On the opening day of trapping season, it is unlawful to set, place or stake out traps prior to 7 a.m. On the closing day, traps shall be removed by sunset.

However,the PGC knows that sometimes it is not reasonably possible to pull all traps after the season closes, however it is possible to fire them all in most cases until they can be pulled. If you have a problem pulling traps call the wco.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
John, if you don't mind, I'm going to post a link to this thread on the trapping forum. I could have used this a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
bradfordbruin said:
With people heading out into the woods for turkey it seemed a bit dangerous to have traps out.

What is SOOO Dangerous about them?? Is it something to do with Season being out and once season goes out a Trap becomes a Land Mine that will Blow People Up, but During the Season, it Will Not?

They are NOT Bear Traps that will take a leg off! They are not a trap that will catch a Kid! You really need to Reword your comment!
Traps are Not Dangerous to Humans unless they are Illegal Traps like the Old Style Bear Traps that have huge Teeth on them and can cause pretty good damage to a leg! They will Not catch a Kids foot, unless the kid Sticks their Toe Directly into it, then all it is going to do is give the kid a sore toe/foot!

What makes these Traps SOOO Dangerous Now over Regular Trapping Season?

Call your local WCO, Let him/her handle it!

·
Administrator
28,376 Posts
I once gnawed my own leg off to get out of a trap.
It didnt hurt near as much as some folks say it does and I like being single again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts