The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to trap minnows in the lakes that I fish without any luck. I had a couple traps out all day today in Nockamixon in 1' to 4' of water around the weed but caught nothing.

Does anyone know where the minnows (golden shiners, etc.) congregate in these lakes. Should Ibe putting the traps in deeper water this time of year? Thanks for any suggestions

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
I to trap my minnows in creeks.. Shinners you might have to use rod and reel to catch shinners in lakes... As a boy some of the NEPA lakes were filled with them.. They took red worms and corn.. Some would have been real nice size for Musky and Northerns.. Some from 6-8 inch in length...

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
The forage base in Nockamixion is alewifes and gizzard shad, which tend to out compete shiners for food. If it's like Blue Marsh there may be spot tail shiners in there too but not a lot - not sure how big they get but I don't think they get as big as golden shiners. I see them around the boat launches on the pea gravel beaches at BM at least in the spring.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I was hoping to catch minnows in a lake so I could transfer some into our pond. We used to have a great population of golden shiners but a neighbor started stocking big bass he caught in other lakes. The fishing was great for a couple years but they wiped out the shiners. I'm not sure if you can catch golden shiners in creeks but maybe I'll give it a try. Thanks

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I've caught a very FEW big goldens at Hopewell all while ice fishing(only time I use bait + tiny jigs) That's the only place I've caught them(mostly fish Berks, Chester - Struble + Chambers - summertime no bait and Leaser also no bait. Haven't been up since last refill, but you can't keep anything out of there yet anyway.

You could buy them from Kurtz's near Elverson. We used to get pike sized 6-8" from him to sell in our shop. After we closed the last remaining shop said they could not buy the big ones and were getting 4-5" as pike size.... Maybe they just didn't want to buy the bigger ones(we made very little profit on them).

Don't forget to cull your pond of bass + sunnies otherwise you'll get stunted populations - Kurtz has "pond management" info.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, you are dead on with culling fish. We had no young fish a couple years ago. I must have taken out 200 bluegills over 8 inches since then and now there a a lot of young bass and bluegills. It made a big difference.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
When I caught them at Hopewell - bait was a wax worm on a tiny tear drop jig. There may be some in Scotts Run too. Don't fish that as much but it is in the park. A fly rod might be an option during the summer.

GOOD LUCK - I think I'd call Kurtz's LOL.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.