The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone putting anymore k9 sets out later? Have a few out and I'm having 0 luck. I believe it's with all the food in the woods right now, lost deer, gut piles etc. when will it pick back up?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,081 Posts
I never pulled any out!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
i got a MONSTER possum the first saturday of the rifle season. neighbor also accidently hit one of my traps with his truck lol so im debating if it was worth it to leave em out or not XD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
I've let mine soak through deer season with out pulling; I only caught a few grinners during that time & a red fox toe. Managed a nice 20lb Sow coon yesterday in a dirt hole. Found a nice red accompanying a cute grinner today in a double dirt hole set & a wonderful skunk a few hundred yards away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
DustyRoads said:
I've let mine soak through deer season with out pulling; I only caught a few grinners during that time & a red fox toe. Managed a nice 20lb Sow coon yesterday in a dirt hole. Found a nice red accompanying a cute grinner today in a double dirt hole set & a wonderful skunk a few hundred yards away.
Sounds like somebody didnt do all that much deer hunting then! haha even as i was skinning my possum i heard a drive comin through had to stop throw my orange on and get back out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
436 Posts
i snap mine off during rifle, then slowly start bringing them back to life. they have full bellies right now, so no big rush to get them working, especially with this warm weather keeping available food all of and the scent for them to find it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
RollinHunter said:
DustyRoads said:
I've let mine soak through deer season with out pulling; I only caught a few grinners during that time & a red fox toe. Managed a nice 20lb Sow coon yesterday in a dirt hole. Found a nice red accompanying a cute grinner today in a double dirt hole set & a wonderful skunk a few hundred yards away.
Sounds like somebody didnt do all that much deer hunting then! haha even as i was skinning my possum i heard a drive comin through had to stop throw my orange on and get back out.
Rollin - correct, no hunting for me. My traps were all in the fields so I was able to check them from a distance and keep out of the woods. That keeps the hunters happy.

I'll be taking the smoke pole for a walk in a couple weeks here though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,627 Posts
During deer season I always draw the line close to hunting area. It has been my experience that much displacement of K9s' occurs during gun season. They just start showing up in places that may have been set for quite sometime. They will start biting again hard when the Mercury dips below freezing. Keep at them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
932 Posts
Kip Feroce said:
During deer season I always draw the line close to hunting area. It has been my experience that much displacement of K9s' occurs during gun season. They just start showing up in places that may have been set for quite sometime. They will start biting again hard when the Mercury dips below freezing. Keep at them.
What he said.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,487 Posts
Fisher trappers nightmare is warm weather trapping after deer season!!! I swear the pgc made this season right after deer to make it way more difficult for anyone to catch one. (Kinda like the January bobcat hunting season). If you wanna put fur up find the dead deer and set near that area. Much easier with snow though!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
481 Posts
I ran 29 traps the last week of rifle into this week, caught 13 fox so far and one coon... pulling tomorrow to get ready to travel and trap bobcat/fisher over Christmas.

I was surprised that on the SGL 7 came from 6 different sets and the 4 traps I have in one private field produced 6.

All week checking I ran into 2 deer hunters. Now that small game is back in I see 3-4 a day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,037 Posts
Years back I used to run a line of springhole sets for fox after deer season. The weather was always cold and many times everything except the springs, were frozen over. Considering the type of trapping it was, I usually did rather well. The numbers are not too impressive today. I was not behind the wheel of my truck driving through the fields and farm roads while checking traps on the fly. I was usually parked along some paved road and fighting my way on foot up through the brush to a spring 100-200 yards back in.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,081 Posts
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,627 Posts
This is what I meant when I said I draw the line close to hunting area. Front yard at camp today was the only set still working. I mowed a circle and a few spokes out of buffalo grass. 3rd fox in this circle this season. Waiting for a Yote on a bet with a student.

Edited to say: I keep a lure and bait tote on the porch which is upwind of this spot. Tracks there often when snow.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top