The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do they make a trapper's cap for sleepy creek traps??? If so were can I find them?

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
make your own. trace the pan on plywood. cut it out, screw on a wood handle, cut some sheet metal about an inch and a 1/4 wide and staple it around the wood. cut notch out to fit over pan post.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Manufactured trapper's caps are a relatively new thing. In the old days before you could buy them, we made our own out of tin cans, usually a juice can. If you could find one of the right size or one that could be bent into reasonable shape, all needed to do was cut a small slit on one side to allow for the trigger.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the info!!! I am going to try and make one. Just want to speed up setting time!!

·
Super Moderator
12,811 Posts
walker, curious to why you say that...and how you personally set without one??

i set for 2 years without one and this year i standardized my traps and got a trappers cap...i think it is better than sliced bread...

before i was using polyfil or wads of grass under the pan..worked but i like the trappers cap a TON..and can bed much better and quicker without worrying about the trap jumping up and blasting me..

both thumbs in a 4 coiled #3 on a short chain made for an interesting couple minutes..i could hardly stand up so it took me a minute to get free lol...

now with the trappers cap, i can bed her in solid without a worry and can apply more pressure etc..take the cap off and sift over the pan and i am done..pan seems to fall much nicer too with nothing under it..

not being argumentative...i am a greenhorn and always looking to learn from others and learn different ways to do things...

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
The only problem I see with them is with there being a hole under the pan, in the rain, the water is going to run somewhere and if it can soak through to that hole, there's going to be erosion and you're going to lose the soil from other parts of the bed, exposing the trap and clogging up the space under the pan so it won't drop clean.

I've been using nothing but am thinking of switching to polyfil and a trappers cap as a 1-2 punch.

·
Super Moderator
12,811 Posts
Good point Adam...i could see that happening and a wad of polyfil under the pan should keep the mud out from under the pan...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts