The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is best trap size for targeting coons, red fox and coyotes? This has probably been asked a million times but I didn't see it. Primarily gonna be catching coon and fox but yotes are really starting to pop up in my target area. I don't know how to modify traps so stock traps would be the best as far as which ones come stock ready to roll for these three species.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have caught all three this year in #2 Duke offsets. All traps had no mods but the yote did a number on one. I had to bend the dog and baseplate back before I could reuse trap.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Id personally buy 2 different traps....a coon/water trap...a 1.5 coil spring or #11 dls or a dog proof trap...and a canine/land trap...mb550, a good #2 coil spring etc....

Thats just me...i dont have the money to line the creek banks with fully modified bridgers...and they arent the ideal coon trap...and a 1.5cs isnt a great yote trap...

I want my land trap to stand upto yote abuse...and i like all my land traps the same...saves me time in the field...i grab my traps and stake driver and i go...1 driver...1 bed to dig..1 trappers cap..

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not gonna do water sets for coons, just land, mainly cause I don't have any creek access. I have DP's to target coon. The traps would be used on old logging roads and fields for fox and yotes.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The new bridger 1.75 is a very nice trap for the money. They are already baseplated so they will handle coyotes and they run around 100.00 a doz. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I'd go with a 1 3\4 size in a Sleepy, or Duke but not in offsets. You will loose some coons with the offsets. Coons can get under the jaws with this size trap but I haven't lost one yet with the regular jaws. A coyote may do a number on the stock Duke occasionally but I've had better quality traps get bent up also. My personal favorite is the Sleepy Creek 1 3/4 for an all around trap.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I agree with the above answers, 1.75 is a good all around trap for fox and coyote. Just use short chains and at least two swivel points.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I second the new bridgers 1.75. I got a dozen in the mail a few days I probably wont get them in the ground this year but they are impressive for 98 dollars a dozen. They are baseplated with a d-ring then a swivel and then machine chain and a another swivel. They even come with music wire springs! If they perform on the line as good as they look I will have about 3 more dozen.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If your gonna go with bridger 1.75 I would 4 coil them if your even thinking about using them for coyotes. Great trap for fox, Fisher, coon etc but gonna have pull outs on yotes!!

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
7 year post, op hasn't been on in 2 yrs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts