too big for PA use
too many fox and incidentals
look at some modded 1.75 and 2

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
<span style="color: #660000">was lookng at some # 3 Dukes</span>
I purchase some with another fella.
The past 2 seasons, I used 'em winter trapping with no modification because I was using a drag. I didn't think they needed beefed up since on a long chain and drag. I was right. Coyote haven't beat 'em up with drag.
I also use #3n's with drags.
I would add extra baseplate and center swivel if staking #3's.
I have been using modified #3 Bridgers for several years on Coyote & Fox. Seems the larger pan and large jaw spread I have less misses.
I was reluctant when a NY State friend said he loved the #3 coils and I should give 'em a try. I have used the 3n for some time for winter trapping but was worried about adding #3 coils for fall trapping because of the large trap and pets and Fox.
Well I added #3 coils on the friends advice and will never go back to #1 3/4's.
I still use alot of #2's.
But the #3's don't beat up Fox or pets like some folks think. Most folks that are against #3's never tried 'em or gave 'em a honest try.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would have to agree I have used victor offset #3s and have seen no more or even less damage on fox and feral kitties. I just purchased some mb550s and they look like they will be a great all around trap also. But when I set just for fox I stick to tthe 1 1/2s

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
you're not getting consistent pad catches with a number 3 on those smaller animals. start catching them above the pad and your damage goes up

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Mike Barcaskey said:
too big for PA use
too many fox and incidentals
look at some modded 1.75 and 2
Mike is right on.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
I like #2 Modified Bridgers for coyote trapping in the
winter and the fall.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
corey22 I think the modified Bridger #2's is the best all around Pennsylvania Canine trap.
Any you folks against #3 Dukes ever measure the jaw spread or ever own or use 'em?
I like #3 Bridgers. I can send you paw catche pictures Mike.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I was a little nervous about using #3's.... then Hern let me use some of his. I have since bought some and will continue to use them. #2 Bridgers are my every day, go to trap of choice.

·
Registered
653 Posts
DUKE #3 -- 6 inch jaw spread.... LEGAL in PA
I've only gone up to a #2... but then again there's kiddies running around... could use a #3, but you'd have to make a k9 only set... cought a possum in a #2 and i had one heck of a mess... hate to see what a #3 would do

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Hern I'd like ot see some of those pics.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts