The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to try using full metal jacket for my land traps next year but I hae heard if you use full metal jacket on water traps the traps turn a whitesh color. What are some do you guys use to protect your water traps? My water traps consist of Sleepy Creek 1.5s, Victor 110s and Victor 330s.

·
Banned
275 Posts
I treated my water traps with FMJ and had no white. I only dipped them once and my K9 traps, I dipped 3 times and had no discoloring at all.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Roaddawg, what was your catch with your k9 traps like with the FMJ? I've heard very conflicting things about it.

·
Banned
275 Posts
I did well, I only had a small part-time trapline, but I caught 4 red fox. I had no traps that got dug up.

Again, I am a little rusty since this was the first year I trapped in 25 years. But, I loved the FMJ.

I was going to wax like I used too, but the FMJ was worth a try. I would try it, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

You'll always have the purists who say, You must dye and wax your traps to consistantly catch K9's. They may be right, but I'm going to use FMJ from now on or atleast until I have issues.

·
Banned
174 Posts
I switched over to Speed Dip years ago ... use to boil and use logwood dye , black walnuts , and sumac and let it all boil then dip .... never ever waxed any of my traps nor did my grandpap ...

One year after Speed Dipping i caught 17 reds , 4 grays so i dont think there is an issue with odor...

I do however use Coleman Lantern Fuel and quit using Gasoline ....

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I used FMJ for the first time this year. For the little time I had to trap, I had no issues. Had 2 fox overnight on one farm and no digging.

I will continue to do both dye and wax, and FMJ.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Never used either so take it for what it's worth. I've looked into both to try next season. FMJ is said to turn white or "milkey" in water or very wet soil. Speed dip does not. Nor does Formula 1. Speed dip is oil based and formula one is water based. None of these products require waxing as they are coated/ sealed by the product. I will be trying formula 1 on land and water sets for next season... I think.

Again! "Disclaimer" I have not trapped in over 15 years. All this stuff is new to me. I've never used a dip. The info I've posted is just from what I've gotten in the last 2 days researching past experiances online as I will be starting up again next season. Take it for what it's worth.

Thanks

·
Registered
653 Posts
My water traps I speed dipped. First time mixed with gas then last time with lantern fuel. Lasts good and the brown blended great been about 3 years since I last dipped them. It takes a while for the smell to leave and not be tacky. My canine stuff I dye and wax.

·
Registered
774 Posts
How come no one powder coats the traps? I would think it would last forever.

·
Banned
275 Posts
I love the FMJ, It's just me, but the idea of dipping a trap into something mixed with gas or lantern fuel just goes against everything I learned when I was a young trapper. Like broknaero this was the first year I trapped in over 25 years and after researching things, I decided to try FMJ. It worked even though I was skeptical of the stuff and it held up pretty well.

It's a heck of a lot easier than waxing them.

I did forget while checking my traps over and getting them straightened out for next year, I did have ONE trap that was a little white. It was an old victor #11 dbl longspring that was pretty rusty so I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not, but all the other traps I did stayed nice and dark. I did boil and dye them before I dipped them into FMJ. Don't get me wrong, the speed dips work great from everything I've seen, but I just can't get past the gas or white gas thing. But that's just me.

One last thing, when I first dipped my traps in FMJ, I dipped them one time. Then later in the season I took some traps that I was going to use specifically for k9s and I dipped them 3 times each.

I think the thicker coating was better, but like I said I dipped a bunch of water traps and k9 traps the first time only once and had just the one trap turn a little white.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts