The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may be a dumb question. But I just have to ask. Does anyone here take a dog along with them on the their line? Besides of running the risk of having your own dog get caught in your traps, does a wild animal know the difference between a domestic dogs scent and a wild animal?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
A good dog on the line helps . Dogs pee where other Canine scent is . Another member on this forum , lugnut , shows pictures of his lab sitting with live fox on each side of him . Zagman catches 100 plus coyotes yearly and he takes his dogs .

·
Administrator
15,739 Posts
I always take my lab with me. I knock the heck out of yotes with the dog with me.

He would wander ahead of me and I'd hear him growl so I knew my next set had something in it.

Now that he has passed on I've been looking at lab pups.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Had a raccoon bind up the wire used to secure a dog proof trap. It rolled and twisted so much
That the wire finally broke.
Was really upset that I lost not only the raccoon
But also a trap. Had my Chesapeake Bay Retreiver with me
And he found that raccoon about 40 yards away, tangled in
Some heavy brush.
Extra treats that night for Reggie!

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I lost a canine trap on a limb drag one time (couldn't find it in the dark) I went back after work with my lab and he found the red fox out in the middle of a cut corn field. I probably would not have found him because I was checking the brush around the edge of the field.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
As long as your dog obeys basic commands (sit, stay, come), there's no reason not to take him with.

Here's a few of the old lab.

And a few pics of one of my new trapping partners.

And here's a few of my other new trapping partner. Sorry, couldn't resist.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts