The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know approximately how much LYE I would need in about 20 gallons of water? Is there a problem with too much or too little. Looking for advice.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I can tell you how much I use. I would estimate I am using about 20 gallons when I boil traps, and I use 3 containers of lye.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I read to boil them in soapy water for 30 minutes. Just did one for about 40 minutes. Still had some runny oil on it. wiped it off and hung it. Is this normal?

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
The dishwashing machine does a fantastic job cleaning traps. Just don't tell the wife.......

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
trapperrick said:
The dishwashing machine does a fantastic job cleaning traps. Just don't tell the wife.......
I hear you on that one. Just stuck a pot of water and dish soap on the grill and let it go. Do I need to do the chain and drag? Also, do I need to dip the chain and drag?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yodeldog why the lye? Are you removing old wax and maybe rust?
Bobcat1 Dawn dish soap does a great job, and yes chain and all. Everything should get the dawn bath/boil.
I boil all mine at a rolling boil for at least an hour and many times it boils over. I do mine outside in a 1/2 of a 55 gallon drum.
I bring them out during the boil somewhere around an hour and drop them on a piece of tin roofing. Then they either get a rinse or go into another pot of boiling water with dye of some type in it. And as they boil for another hour I get my wax up to heat and place it about 30 feet away on my turkey fryer cooker. I bring my traps out one at a time walk over and into the wax they go. Being 30 feet away the trap has a chance to dry quite a bit. I drop it in then go back for the next trap. Place it in the wax and pull out the last one and go hang it up. I will do 30 or more at once using that method. Hot traps take the wax so much better and faster than putting cool traps and letting the wax come back to temp on each trap.
If you want a safer and faster and better for your trap de-waxing or removing FMJ. My method won't hurt your traps like lye can if you leave it in there to long. If you want the info let me know

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am trying to remove any residual full metal jacket from last season. I was not satisfied with this product and wish to return to dying and waxing. That is the reason for using the LYE.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
YodelDog827 said:
I am trying to remove any residual full metal jacket from last season. I was not satisfied with this product and wish to return to dying and waxing. That is the reason for using the LYE.
I just got full metal jacket. should I be concerned? Thanks

·
Registered
991 Posts
Often wondered why so many people wash their traps in lye? I'm old school, dye, wax and in the ground they go.

·
Registered
18 Posts
To remove old wax and old FMJ without using lye. This product will take your traps back to the first time you ever dyed them. Removes all the old gunk from years or re-waxing as well.
Go to Walmart or automotive store. Go over to the engine degreaser, look for a 1 gallon purple jug called super clean
I use 1 gallon per 15-20 gallons of water, so I usually run 2 gallons per 1/2 of a 55 gallon drum. I bring traps to a rolling boil and let the boil for at least an hour. Depends on how much wax you have on your traps when you remove them and how much in in a hurry you are. There are two methods the first is the one I think works the best, but I have the time to do it this way. I work at night 12-8 shift. Just before dark I bring my traps to a boil, throw on one last load of wood and go get ready for work. When I get off of work in the morning I go back to my drum. By this time the water has cooled quite a bit and the wax from your traps has now formed a shell on top of the water. If the water is still warm/somewhat. You will be able to grab the wax and pull it off and wad it up into a ball. If it has cooled a lot it will be able to be broken off and removed. Now you could bring your traps out now but I prefer to bring the traps to another boil(after adding more water to bring the water level back to desired heights.) Then during that boil I remove the traps and drop them on a piece of tin roofing I have near my boiling station. (Reason I reboil is the water will usually still be a little warm and it reheats quicker than adding more water and your next set of traps, which are cold too)When they start to dry you will see all things have been removed-wax-FMJ-Old dirt and debree all gone. You can either rinse them off(there might be a slight coating of the degreaser left on them, but you can't see it, I power wash mine, I own a power washer) Or you can wait till you are done with all your traps and when you re-boil and re-dye them you should be good to go. Both ways work.
Method #2 bring traps to a rolling boil for an hour or more as you bring it to one last boil pull the hot traps out and drop them on that roofing tin or whatever you want to use. They will be clean and a quick rinse and they too are ready for re-boiling/dying.
Super Clean in bio-degradable and does a super job, you will be amazed. Any questions PM me.
PS as the water boils away just keep adding more water, have done over 300 traps with that same 2 gallons of Super Clean, just kept adding more water. I boil about 25-30 traps at a time, depends on the number of traps I can fit and of course the size of the traps.
I also know of a guy that doesn't do the boil method and just lets them soak overnight and gets the same results, but has to do a better rinse job because the degreaser will still be on his traps. Wax either way comes to the top and gunk falls to the bottom. I just love to boil my traps, more old school I guess. This stuff won't hurt your traps, but if aluminum is let in any great length of time it will start eating the aluminum. Gives that warning on the jug. No I don't know how long is to long for the aluminum. I am sure overnight would be just fine. And I am sure the more water that has been added the less likely anything will happen. I for one don't worry about it. Have used it on 100's of traps.
(WORKS GREAT IF YOU HAVE TRAPS YOU ARE GOING TO DO MODS ON AND NEED TO HAVE A CLEAN TRAP TO WELD ON OR HAVE A CLEAN TRAP TO WORK WITH) After you are finished and you leave them sit for even just one day they will start to rust. It removes everything-try it and give me your feed back. Hope this helps some of you guys out there. JD

1 - 11 of 11 Posts