Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Flushing Survey Info

January 31st pheasant flushing group. Close to 70 people and 50 dogs turned out to help.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Always good to see!Any updates on the crowing counts?Thanks!

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will post the info when we are done in May. No new info as everybody is now waiting for the rain to stop.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It did heal up eventually. Since then I have purchased some liquid band aid and a powder that stops the bleeding when you put it on. In the field, its tough to get it stopped because the dog is running and the heart rate and blood pressure is built up. You just apply pressure till they calm down and then the other stuff should help to get it stopped. I hope I don't see another one for a long time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We're looking at February of 2012 for the first birds for the new WPRA in the Northwest. I'm hoping someone can offer insight into how the trapping and transferring is accomplished - is this something local volunteers can help with?

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This will need to be worked out with the PGC biologist covering your area. It may be possible for local PF members to be involved in transporting the birds from SD. Your biggest help at this point is to concentrate on habitat development. Work with your local NRCS biologist and see what conservation programs are available in your area. The quality of your habitat will be the deciding factor if your WPRA will be a success or failure.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
If I were you,I would along with your Chapters Board members,come out and spend some time with the people of the Central Susquehanna Chapter!Their knowledge on this type of program is second to none...really!
Like Lynn said,at this point it is all about habitat.I am assuming that since your area has been given the ok by the PGC that you guys have already done some good work.
I can't stress enough the importance of using the knowledge already gained.Central Susquehanna learned a lot from Pike Run and those that follow should only continue to gain information and not repeat any of the same mistakes!

Hey it's great hearing about whats going on out there!How about some pictures of your habitat?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Maybe we can schedule some sort of a visit when the weather is nicer. As for pics of our habitat work, we're working on getting them on the new website. In the mean time, check out our painting (yes, we have our own painting). It was done from photos of one of our projects. It's on our website - nwpapf.org.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
I had seen that painting...awesome,and what a great idea!This is an exciting time for pheasants in Pa.!

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
300 birds total. Most have been released already.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've been told that the wild pheasants to be transferred are trapped in S.Dakota and one other state. Does anyone know where, specifically? Like the town nearest to where this happens? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
I believe it's in Montana,on a Indian Reservation,but Mr Appleman will know for sure.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Survival of radio collared pheasants this year is phenominal. There is an average of 80% survival between both areas and a 100% survival on the second release in the Schuylkill WPRA! These numbers are unheard of in pheasant trap and transfer programs. A good sign of the cover available in these areas.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Lynn,
Do you know that to be a fact? That my friend is off the charts.Have you been to that area?

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have not been to the area but I know there was a lot of warm season grass planted down that way by the Schuykill County chapter. They helped us plant some of our fields.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Let me me know when you guys are doing your next habitat work.Danny and I will try to help out!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts