The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts on trapping rabbits and relocation. How successful might this be. I may have the opportunity to trap some in town and relocate them to some of my huntin grounds.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I believe there is a permit you can apply for to trap wild rabbits.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I believe you need a permit. If you search there will be a few folks with gardens who would like them trapped out. Ask someone that belongs to a beagle club. Most beagle clubs will trap and relocate rabbit to their club.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Our club gets permits for anyone interested. We stock our pens with them. I don't believe it specifies where you are to put them

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Relocated rabbits are not as successful as you think. When you take a rabbit out of its habitat that it was born in, it doesn;t know its new habitat real well to escape predators, find food sources, shelter, etc. Where the success comes in from relocating rabbits is their offspring. If you are lucky to get one that is pregnant before relocation or even if you are able to get the little ones right when they leave the nest, the area will more then likely get repopulated. This is because the only habitat that the young rabbits know is the one you put them in. Guys in the club trap alot of rabbit s during the year and we repopulate the club grounds. We probably loose about 1/2 that are relocated. But the amount of little ones is pretty good in the spring. I don;t know of any permit.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Treed, that makes sense. I would relocate thenm to an old farm that is 50% overgrown multiflora, green briers, stickers and all sorts of nasty stuff. Teh other half is switch grass, golden rod, and corn fields. I'm hoping if i do relocate some that ugly cover will help there survival rate.

I'll call the PGC about the permit tommorrow.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The PGC used to stock rabbits (trap and relocate) back ,I believe, in the 60's. If I remember correctly their studies showed that it was not successful. Most of the rabbits left the area so it was abandoned.

·
Registered
195 Posts
When relocating put the rabbit down a ground hog hole with an ear of corn. When it come out it will be a lot less scared than just released from the trap.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
If you do trap and transfer take them at least 5 miles away or cross a river. Otherwise you might see them back at your house. I know a man that trapped a possum and took it about 4 miles. He said he put spray paint on it and it was back in 3 days.

·
Registered
438 Posts
good points.yes you need or should have a trapping permit from the pgc its free. I have trapped 12 or so and put them in my 3 acre running pen and none have survived due to predators I guess. As it gets thicker I hope I can keep a few in there.I keep cutting trees down to let the sun in the woods, what a difference in briar growth!!

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
There was a study somewhere on the net a few yeas ago about rabbits traveling back to where they came from. I think it was somewhere around the 3 mile mark, after that they didn't return home. As far as the permit, our club gets them from the PGC for anyone interested.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts