The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys pack your meat to transport home when traveling 16 Hours or more. We are hunting bear in Maine this fall and I don't know what to expect as far as how much cooler space I will need and whether or not I need to use dry ice.

Ideally we will have time to get them processed and frozen before we leave, otherwise I'm guessing quartered, wrapped and in the cooler will have to do.

Also, how do you transport the hides?

I will be asking the outfitter also, I am just trying to gets some tips from people with experience.

Thanks in advance

Oh, and I would also like to bring back the fat if possible

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
jk, I am driving to Arizona for an elk hunt this fall. my plan is to take out 3- 100 quart coolers and if I shoot an elk, which I hope I do I am planning on having my whole elk boned out at the butcher, vacuum sealed, and frozen. I then plan on putting it on dry ice for the ride home, which will take me 2 days. I also plan on having my hide frozen and I am bringing everything back. I have hunted maine for bear many times and the outfitter should freeze everything for you. my outfitter up there froze all our quarters and hides and we had no problem driving 10 hours back home with them. if you shoot late make sure you get everything cooled down and on ice. add ice on the way back as needed just find a way to keep the meat away from the water as the ice is melting

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
we used to take a chest freezer along in the bed of the truck. We used it to hold our food and drinks on the trip up, filled with meat on the way back with either ice or dry ice.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
You should be good if its frozen when you leave camp and keep it on ice. I have a 150 quart xtreme coleman if ya need to borrow it.

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Have brought bears back twice from New Brunswick. If the Hide and meat is frozen solid you will be fine in a good cooler. DO NOT open the cooler lid when stopping to eat, get gas etc.. This lets the hot/warm air in and compromises your bear.

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Hides were folded and put in contractors trash bags, with absolutely no problems.. They were also 100% frozen.

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Be careful how you freeze your hides. I was hunting bear in northern Maine 15 years ago. Five guys scored on bears the first night of the hunt. After taking pics the next morning, they were skinned, placed in garbage bags and tossed into a chest freezer. Five days later, it was discovered the bear on the bottom never froze, it was still room temperature. It had an odor and hair was slipping. The other hides insulated the one on the bottom from the cold. This was compounded by the fact the generator at camp was shut off at night. Luckily none of our hides were affected. When we hunted brown bear in Alaska our hides were fleshed , salted and dried. A lot more work than freezing, but freezer space was limited on the boat.

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for all of the info and advice

jk6140, Thanks for the cooler offer, I think we're covered though.

Appreciate it

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Transporting your game back home. Ship Instead

Anyone ever ship their game back home? We may fly instead of drive.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts

I have shipped meat home with me many times while flying. 95% of the time I've had no issue.
One time while coming back from a Newfoundland moose hunt, there was not enough room on the flight to bring it home with me. So I left it at the butcher shop and they were to ship it to me. I specified the day I wanted it to arrive, but it never came. A hurricane went up the coast and across NFLD and had everything screwed up.
Turned out my moose meat arrived at US customs in Pittsburgh on a Friday afternoon. They called me, at work in Harmarville at the time, at 4:15 pm with their office closing at 5pm. I was at work by myself and no way I could get there in time. They would not wait. The customs office had no refrigeration and were not open Sat or Sun that weekend and it was extremely hot, over 90 degrees. So there my meat sat, baking all weekend until Monday. Needless to say, I lost the entire moose.
I've only had one flight since then that the meat could not come home with me. On that occasion I just signed it over to someone who would use it, not wanting to risk losing an entire animal again.

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks for the info, Did you freeze the meat? I didn't think you were allowed dry ice. I just saw Jet Blue does have some options so I will give them a call.

BTW that's a bummer about the moose

·
Registered
1,573 Posts

Shot 2 bears in Alberta and the outfitters salted the hides and brought them back on the plane in a plastic tote.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts

jkhunter said:
Thanks for the info, Did you freeze the meat? I didn't think you were allowed dry ice. I just saw Jet Blue does have some options so I will give them a call.

BTW that's a bummer about the moose
It was frozen when shipped, but no refrigeration and that heat were a no-contest for that weekend. It was a freak set of circumstances for that to happen, but the point is, stuff does happen sometimes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts