The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 22 revolver for plinking and hunting. I do not have a LTCF. I intend on getting a sportsman's permit tomorrow. Anyway, my question is that if I am driving to the shooting range how does my revolver have to be stored in my vehicle? The gun store clerk told me that as long as it is unloaded I am safe. Also, I intend on keeping it in its case while driving but wonder if would that be considered concealing it?

·
Registered
948 Posts
The firearm must be unloaded an visible and the ammo cant be within reach of anyone in the car. Example would be gun in the front of the car and ammo in the trunk.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Direct copy/paste from Title 18 6106:
(4) Any persons engaged in target shooting with [rifle, pistol, or revolver] a firearm, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, [the cartridges or shells are carried in a separate container and the rifle, pistol or revolver is unloaded] the firearm is not loaded.
http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legi...v=0&chpt=61

6106 (b) (4)

·
Registered
26,070 Posts
NepaGuy said:
I can't get an LTCF due to my sealed juvenile record. I am allowed to buy and own guns still. The best I can do for now is a sportsman's permit.
ARE YOU SURE ?

and what the clerk told you was wrong. that kind of info can get you in trouble fast.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bohunr said:
NepaGuy said:
I can't get an LTCF due to my sealed juvenile record. I am allowed to buy and own guns still. The best I can do for now is a sportsman's permit.
ARE YOU SURE ?

and what the clerk told you was wrong. that kind of info can get you in trouble fast.
Am I sure about what? I pass the background checks to buy guns no problem but getting an LTCF is different. Law enforcement can still access my juvenile records they just aren't visible to the general public.

·
Registered
919 Posts
NepaGuy said:
bohunr said:
NepaGuy said:
ARE YOU SURE ?

Am I sure about what? I pass the background checks to buy guns no problem but getting an LTCF is different. Law enforcement can still access my juvenile records they just aren't visible to the general public.
they run the same nics check as they do for guns I
was in and out in 20 minutes

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Highflyer0329 said:
The firearm must be unloaded an visible and the ammo cant be within reach of anyone in the car. Example would be gun in the front of the car and ammo in the trunk.
There is no such requirement as the handgun must be visible or that anything must be out of reach of anyone in the vehicle.

Lacking a license to carry firearms, the firearm (handgun) must be transported "unloaded" to those places allowed by law, such as to the range.

“LOADED.” A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the nondetachable magazine or in the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm. If the magazine is inserted into a pouch, holder, holster or other protective device that provides for a complete and secure enclosure of the ammunition, then the pouch, holder, holster or other protective device shall be deemed to be a separate compartment.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Potter Co. Joe said:
I could be wrong here, but can't figure out how you can Purchase a Handgun but can't get a LCTF permit?
Sheriffs can use their own discretion when issuing an LTCF. Furthermore certain things that do not prohibit people from buying guns may prohibit someone from getting an LTCF. Most M3 and M2 convictions do not prohibit ownership but they may prohibit someone from getting an LTCF. Also, contrary to popular belief juvenile adjudications do not disappear when a person turns 18. They get sealed meaning the general public can not access them but law enforcement can for various reasons. If everyone must know I got busted with weed when I was 17. It doesn't prohibit me from owning guns. Even if I were convicted as an adult it wouldn't prohibit me as the maximum sentence does not exceed two years. However since it is drug related I can't get an LTCF. In my case it's not up to the county sheriff as he is constrained by law. I covered everything with a well known attorney who specializes in firearms laws. They are far more complicated than most people think. I could get my juvenile record expunged but don't have the money nor do I really care about it as employers can't access it. I don't need an LTCF that badly. It would cost me $1000 for an expungement.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
NepaGuy said:
How old are you? and I would check into this a little further maybe with some legal advice, juvenile records are juvenile, and if you been living a clean life as a adult, you may still be able to qualify for a permit.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I second what Pahack said. You may no longer be a prohibited person depending on the length of time since the incident. This is located on the LTCF application :
8. was adjudicated delinquent by a court pursuant to 42 Pa.C.S. § 6341 or under any equivalent Federal statute or statute of any other state as a result of conduct which if committed by an adult would constitute an offense enumerated in 18 Pa.C.S. § 6105(b) with the exception of those crimes set forth in paragraph 7. This prohibition shall terminate 15 years after the last applicable delinquent adjudication or upon the person reaching the age of 30, whichever is earlier.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
macaduna said:
I second what Pahack said. You may no longer be a prohibited person depending on the length of time since the incident. This is located on the LTCF application :
8. was adjudicated delinquent by a court pursuant to 42 Pa.C.S. § 6341 or under any equivalent Federal statute or statute of any other state as a result of conduct which if committed by an adult would constitute an offense enumerated in 18 Pa.C.S. § 6105(b) with the exception of those crimes set forth in paragraph 7. This prohibition shall terminate 15 years after the last applicable delinquent adjudication or upon the person reaching the age of 30, whichever is earlier.
I looked into it. I need to get it expunged. I pass the pics\nics check no problem the sheriff even transferred guns to me but the rules with an LTCF are a little different. A friend of mine got denied because of her juvenile record as well. She bought two pistols no problem but the Pike Co. sheriff wouldn't give her an LTCF due to her juvenile record. A friend of hers was running from the cops and she hid him at her house. I guess she got in trouble for aiding a fugitive. I am looking into expungement. It costs money though. Right now I am just happy I am allowed to buy and own guns. I would never carry my 22 concealed anyway as it is impractical. As long as I am legal going to the range I am happy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.