The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was running my hounds today on the neighbors 60 acres like I often do. The owner likes to hear the dogs run and will sometimes watch with me for awhile. The dogs got on a real runner that takes off onto another property that's 50 acres and that guy also allows me to run the dogs. The dogs circle close to the property line of a house that is on a 1 acre lot but the dogs were a good 50 yds off of the property line and 100 yds from the house. That house has a couple dogs that go nuts when my dogs are barking on a rabbit. Anyway those people called the State Police that my dogs and I were on their property. About 10 minutes after I put the dogs away I have a trooper in my driveway. Very polite nice young man. I politely told him that my dogs and I were not on that property. He told me I needed to keep my dogs on a leash and I let him know that I did not need to keep them on a leash and I had permission to train my dogs on the properties we were on and I had been running dogs on the properties since 1992. He was fine with that and told me to just stay off the the guy that complained property. I'm so disappointed they didn't just come up to the house and talk to me. We live on the same dead end street. They have only lived here a few months but I did stop and introduce myself. I told them they would see me running my beagles on the neighbors farm. They seemed like a nice young couple. Sad they would call the PSP on an old man running a couple beagles. Trying to decide if I should stop down there and find out what the deal is. I'm definitely going to keep running my dogs back there because it is super convenient for me.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Maybe the couple were unaware of how beagles run and a nice conversation will solve any misunderstandings.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Stop and have a friendly chat. Depending on how that goes might want to invest in an Astro and have GPS evidence ready for the next time.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I was running my dad's dog on a friend's property one time and I was not too far from some neighbor's houses. The dog started on a rabbit near the road and headed up on to the bank above the road. I was standing there, in our friend's parking lot, when one of the neighbors came up and asked me what was going on. I told him the dog was running a rabbit and he immediately understood. He said from the way the dog sounded he thought someone was up there beating up on her or something. I would guess that had he not seen me standing there he may also have called the police. I think many people simply don't understand the sport of running hounds and aren't sure what to think when they hear it. In your case though... you told the couple that you would likely be running hounds, and they were clearly just annoyed that their dogs were getting upset. I don't mind people calling on legitimate cases of trespass, but when they do it in this kind of situation, I would be less than happy as well.

·
Registered
146 Posts
One thing that you do have to keep in mind is that it is still a safety zone violation if you are within 150 yards of a residence. Page 17 of the digest reads: Safety Zones
It is unlawful to hunt for, shoot at, trap, take, chase or disturb wildlife within 150 yards of any occupied residence, camp, industrial or commercial building, farmhouse or farm building, or school or playground without the permission of the occupants.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I'm a little confused by your description of where you live.

On one hand it is 50 and 60 acre plots. The other description is "We live on the same dead end street."

I live in an area where 6-8 houses are on acre lots, essentially "across the street" from each other. It was once a corn field that was sold and developed.

Have a neighbor who works on cars everyday. Good guy...have helped each other out in the past. When he starts revving those loud motors on a Sunday afternoon and I cannot hear my own TV in my living room, I am not too happy with him.

When posting on a hound dog site, you can expect to hear support for your right to train your dogs,. and I am not implying that you are doing anything wrong.

What I am saying is that your new neighbors may not enjoy the sweet sound of a pack of beagles running a rabbit as much as you do. Add the fact that your dogs get their dogs worked up, and the issue from their side is amplified.

I agree that calling the cops is a bit much, but, by the same token, I doubt that it being convenient for you to run them there makes them feel any better about it.

Just presenting the other side, and again, I don't think they handled it in the best way.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I live on a dead end street with houses (15) on both sides of the street on 1 to 2 acre lots. My back yard backs up to the 60 acre farm and that borders the 50 acre farm . There is a treeline right behind my house that I'll sometimes start pups on but my normal routine is to walk the dogs to a thick creek bottom that is several hundred yards from the houses. It is unusual for a rabbit to run where that one did but it has happened in the past. I have had neighbors dogs knocking over trash cans, in my garage eating dog food, barking late into the night, neighbors shooting off fireworks mid week late at night. In each case I walked over to the neighbor and politely asked them to take care of the situation. I would not call the cops first thing and have never had to. I understand that it would be annoying having your dog start barking at my dogs but that is something they should be able to control. Bark collars are cheap. I ran them tonight a good 250 yds from their house and their dog was going nuts again.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One thing that you do have to keep in mind is that it is still a safety zone violation if you are within 150 yards of a residence. Page 17 of the digest reads: Safety Zones
It is unlawful to hunt for, shoot at, trap, take, chase or disturb wildlife within 150 yards of any occupied residence, camp, industrial or commercial building, farmhouse or farm building, or school or playground without the permission of the occupants.
That is a hunting reg and I don't think it applies to running dogs. If that were the case most people wouldn't be able to train their dogs in their back yard. You also don't need a hunting licence to train or run dogs so I would bet it does not apply.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I would think that the safety zone law does apply, I do not know for sure. As for their dogs barking, if your dogs are not in their safety zone, if it does apply, then they have a problem with their dogs, that they need to work on. They need to train their dogs not to bark when they hear other dogs, or learn to put up with it. Until someone says you can run your dogs in their safety zone, I would keep your dogs 150 yards away, and run when you want.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It is not unlawful for a dog being trained to run inside a safety zone.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
There you go, good to know about the safety zone, and that it would not apply to your dog training. Its always best to try to get along with the neighbors, but some of them are going to be, what they are. They could turn around and be good neighbors, or they could be some of those left leaning anti hunting types, if so you can not reason with liberal supporters.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
as someone else brought up
I wouldn't be surprised if the neighbor thought the dogs were in some kind of distress or being beaten.
people who have never heard hounds on the run could easily confuse the two.
heck even my pointer was giving me the side eye the first time we crossed paths with beagles

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
as someone else brought up
I wouldn't be surprised if the neighbor thought the dogs were in some kind of distress or being beaten.
people who have never heard hounds on the run could easily confuse the two.
heck even my pointer was giving me the side eye the first time we crossed paths with beagles
No they reported to the police that my dogs and I were trespassing on their 1 acre lot which wasn't true. I'm OK with it. I waved to him as he drove down the street yesterday and he didn't wave back. All the other neighbors don't like the couple already. They put up some no trespassing signs....looks real nice in their front yard.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
You can pick your friends but you can not pick your neighbors.....

I was very close with my neighbors until their kids got older and remained living in their parents home.
The son is now 33 years old and is fanatical about his pick up truck and cleans it everyday along with the mothers and sisters vehicle's....
Every time I light up my fire pit, he calls 911 and reports it....
He's also very vocal when we cut he grass claiming that dust is getting on the vehicles....
He said, he doesn't want his truck to smell like smoke and that small particulates land on his truck which is a good 50 years away....
Told him to clean all the stuff out of the 2 car garage and put his truck in the garage like I do....
Long story short, I filed a report with the local PD, if it happens again , he'll get a visit from them...
I don't want to see the kid get in trouble since he is a janitor at the local school and I would hate to have anything mess with his background checks when they come up again...
People go from normal to strange in a New York minute......

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I have hunting dogs. There are many places I dont hunt because I am not positive I can keep my dogs off posted land.

Unfortunately, many feel it is their right to run dogs on property they dont have permission hunt on. I've heard every excuse.

Often landowners get fed up with it. Just like any other form of trespass.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts