The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I feel like I am doing my poor pup a disservice. He hasn't been out since a couple weeks before the end of the season because of the weather and a few other things (dirt bikes and fish...) My question is, how often is everyone training at this time of the year? Should I be making an effort to get him out multiple times a week? Obviously I want to get him some exercise as well since he hasn't really had enough of that either. So what does your spring training schedule look like?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow... so you run a lot at this time of year? Does anyone ever feel like it puts too much pressure on the rabbits for the breeding season? I am planning to do a trip or two a week through this month hopefully. Is two times a week good for the dog?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Do what you can, there isn't a set time schedule. Obviously the more the pup is on the ground the better he'll get. I work 5 days a week, plus have other obligations and things to do, so I go when I can. I try not to get too caught up in what anyone else is doing because I always end up feeling like everyone else has more free time than me, haha.

I will say though, this time of the year gives some of the best running you are gonna get on those big running buck rabbits.

·
Registered
24,729 Posts
Spring is my favorite time to run.. temps are good and the vegetation is down easy to see the rabbit and how the dogs are doing on the line... also easy to see rabbit pellets and areas of chewing activity (scouting) plenty of water for the dogs to cool off/get a drink but they do get a little muddy

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
This time of year is my favorite time to run, I run every day but Monday, usually run some in the morning and now with more daylight have been runing them in the evening also. If I don't go to a trial, I will run all day either Saturday or Sunday. Do what you can, more is always better.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Run the coonhounds every night I can, at least 3 nights a week, getting into my favorite time of the year.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Both Janie and I have pretty time consuming full time jobs but we manage to run 2 or 3 days a week. Try and get the young ones the most quality time and the ones we plan on trialing in the summer he longest runs.
The older hunting dogs see once a week to stay loose.
All you can do is your best.
Keep the weight off them and run as much as you can.

John L

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know what it is about my dog, but it seems like no matter what I feed him or how much he never puts on weight! It's weird because most beagles get fat if they even look at food. I am concerned about his energy level more than anything. I think he is getting depressed being cooped up in the house, but at least once a week should help him out. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
If you want weight, use a spoon of peanut butter in his food. My female gets 1.5 cups of food, year round. She stays nice. My males get 3 cups of food minimum to maintain weight while being ran a couple of times a week. They are slightly larger than your average sized beagle though.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ugh, took the pup out today and all I saw was one woodcock and a pile of ticks. I know the spot has rabbits, there was sign everywhere but no rabbits! The killer? I saw rabbits sitting out all over the place heading over there. I don't know, maybe the pup just isn't used to hunting right now. I know he had way too much energy to focus so maybe that was the issue. Would have been nice to at least have a run...

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
psychobeagle12 said:
I don't know what it is about my dog, but it seems like no matter what I feed him or how much he never puts on weight! It's weird because most beagles get fat if they even look at food. I am concerned about his energy level more than anything. I think he is getting depressed being cooped up in the house, but at least once a week should help him out. Thanks guys!
I was having trouble keeping weight on my young dogs. I was feeding diamond naturals. The last bag I tried the cheap retreiver brand from tsc. They seem to like the taste better as they are eating it much quicker. They have put on a couple pounds and look great.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I actually feed mine the retriever hi-protein kind. He doesn't seem to like the taste so much, but he eats as much as I will give him. Or maybe it is that the kibbles are dry and he has a problem swallowing them. Either way, he doesn't eat them as fast as other brands.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts