The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have read it all and am confused because under title 34 it states:
Sec. 2383. Dogs pursuing, injuring or killing big game.

(a) General rule.- Except as provided in subsection (b), it is unlawful for any person to make use of a dog in any manner to hunt for or to take big game or to permit a dog owned, controlled or harbored by that person to pursue, harass, chase, scatter, injure or kill any big game.

(b) Exception.- It shall be lawful to make use of a dog to pursue, chase, scatter and track wild turkeys during the fall wild turkey season.

Cross References. Section 2383 is referred to in section 2386 of this title.
Section 2382 relates to training, but is limited to small game.
Does this mean the only time I can train my dog on turkeys would be during the fall turkey season?
Next question would be since it says I don't need a hunting license to train my dog as long as I don't carry a weapon, can't I get in trouble if someone shoots a turkey that my dog has flushed to them?
Also, would I be required to wear orange even though I am not hunting?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Since wild turkeys are classified as Big Game, Section 2383(b) simply removes the restriction on using dogs for wild turkey during the fall season.

·
Registered
25,127 Posts
here is the question: Can a person train dogs on turkeys during the rest of the year? As it is written it can only be during the fall hunting season as I read it...

(b) Exception.- It shall be lawful to make use of a dog to pursue, chase, scatter and track wild turkeys during the fall wild turkey season

I would think to train a turkey dog would require more training than the three week fall season.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts