The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kawasaki Brute Force 750 and want to get a good quality trailer for it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
708 Posts
How many quads will you haul at one time? We have a landscaping type trailer and do not like it. It pulls hard, loads poorly etc. But we need the size to haul a compact tractor as well. If you are only hauling quads look into the aluminum ones. Lighter, pull easier, load easier (some have built in ramps) and more specific for the quads. A little more money but worth it.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just hauling one quad for now, two at the most. The aluminum sounds good. I also want one I can load easily.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
if you look in the classifieds there is allmost allways used trailers out there for sale. look at dealers as well. the local trailer dealer has used ones for sale all the time. as far as the type the alum tilt trailers are nice but are a pain to load two on at the same time. I use a small trailer I built and love it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
If you are only hauling ATV's, an aluminum deck over trailer is the best option. You can get them for one quad, 2, 3, etc. Triton makes a nice one that loads from either side or the back. I have seen several on Craig's list in the last few months. I just bought a utility style trailer to haul my ATV's because I will get much more use out of that trailer. I bought a 6 1/2 by 12 foot single axel Big Tex. I have already used it a few times for things other than ATV's and am very happy with it. I can put 3 utility quads on it sideways, although it is not easy.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I just bought a Big Tex last month. Led lighting, 15" wheels, the side rails come off and become ramps, $1575 only a few bucks more than a mustang but twice the quality IMO.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I also have a Brute Force - the trailer i have is a 5' X 8' model - can't haul more than 1 quad on it - wish I would have bought a 6'X8' one that way I could have turned them sideways and hauled 2 at a time..

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
susquegander said:
i got a 450 polaris sportsman. trailer is from lows 5'x8' just enough room for cooler,chainsaw,tent,chairs and extra gas!
Probably a Carry On brand. They just had them on sale over the summer. I have a 5'x8' and a 4'x6', and the 5'x8' was $499. I paid $619 5 or 6 years ago at Tractor Supply. That's with a mesh floor. I then used some pt. 2"x6" I had around and made it a wooden floor.

The 4'x6' fits just a Sportsman 500 and nothing more, but the 5'x8' I can get 3 cycles on (staggered), 1 sportsmen 500 with the plow on, 1 Cub Cadet 50" tractor with rear bagger, or 2 cycles with generator, smoker, gas, chairs, and other misc camping gear.
Now they are steel and has the rear gate / ramp, but I've never had an issue hauling it, for a single axle trailer.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Another thing to pay attention to if you plan on buying new. Shop around. The trailers you see at Tractor Supply and Lowes are ok, but you can get a much nicer trailer for less money buy going to a brand like Big Tex, Mustang, Econo Trailer, ect. I think the Big Tex I bought is top of the line as far as quality and I save a couple hundred dollars off of what I would have spent had I bought the same size at a box store.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
All I know is BIGGER is better. I carry 3 on trailer and my 450 Kod. in mt truck bed. I have to un-hitch and use ramps for my quad then same back on pain in the butt. trailer hauls a 250, 200, 110 and a cooler so go big as you can. As you do thow watch your puller i have a f-250 4x4 so im good there but some of the rice burnner's in mountains strugle...later

·
Registered
519 Posts
I can haul grandaughters quad in truck! drive on trailer and right up ramps!!! saves hooking and un-hooking!!!!then put my quad in the trailer and away we go!!!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Something to think about before buying or building a trailer: are you going to be able to use it for other things. The more use one can get out of a trailer the better due to the initial investment cost and licensing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I bought a steel 5x10 at Tractor Supply, figuring it would serve the purpose well. Soon after, I unexpectantly bought a 2nd four wheeler, to which, caused me to have one of those Homer Simpson "doh" moments.

So instead of trying to sell it and go through the headache of buying an even bigger one to haul 2 machines, I retrofitted the 5x10, by cutting away the front/side railings, on both sides in front of the wheel well/fender, essentially transforming the front half of the trailer into a flatbed (the rear side railings, behind the wheel well/fender, remained). This allows for easy side loading, using my old ramps, on either side. I ground down the sharp edges with an angle grinder, primed and repainted the newly cuy away area, added some tie-down "D" rings, and it looks and functions as though it were factory spec'd that way. The trailer has a larger GVWR, so hauling both of my quads on the trailer, "T" style, fits like a glove...albeit barely. (My 660 Grizzly on the front, sideways, and the wifes 300 Honda, straight, on the rear.)

The trailer has stake-pockets, so I built 2 wooden side rails to fit in the pockets, in the event that I haul something that requires closure on those now-open front/sides. And I can still haul my 12 ft row boat (upside down), building materials/lumber/plywood, firewood, lawn equipment or whatever.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts