The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a old boat and trailer from my boss who had it sitting at his house for 12yrs. Needed lots of tlc and the trailer needed to be rebuilt. Here's my problem... The guy my boss bought it off of has since passed on. He never got a title for the trailer. Had a search done and it came back with nothing. The lady told me I'd have to get a death certificate and find someone from the guys family to get a title? But nothing came back on the search? Then, last week a guy told me he just bought a boat and trailer off of ebay and the guy didn't have a title for either one. Notary in newport told him since it was older than 1991 she could just issue him a new title for both. My boat is a 1976. Newport is a good drive for me but I'd really like to take that sucker out on a lake somewhere before summer's out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long msg.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went to a notary. The boat never had a title which is no problem. The problem is getting a title for the trailer. Went to the notary in town this morning and the girl said she thinks they can issue a new one but, i need to call monday morning and talk with the other lady to be sure. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
614 Posts
The way I handeled that was apply for a title for a homemade trailer, there is specific paper work for this and pictures have to be taken and an inspection mechanic also has to sign the paperwork after he inspects the trailer and deems it safe and it has proper lighting and reflectors. On the paper work state that the materials used to build the trailer were from materials on hand. They will try and get some sales tax money from you.

After all the paper work is complete and penn dot looks at it you will be issued a new serial no. plate and a new title. All this takes time don't be impatient, but you will get your title.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Sometimes in PA it's more economical to buy a trailer with a title than it is to try and get a title for one without one. In most cases it is also less of a headache.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
crappie-hunter said:
The way I handeled that was apply for a title for a homemade trailer, there is specific paper work for this and pictures have to be taken and an inspection mechanic also has to sign the paperwork after he inspects the trailer and deems it safe and it has proper lighting and reflectors. On the paper work state that the materials used to build the trailer were from materials on hand. They will try and get some sales tax money from you.

After all the paper work is complete and penn dot looks at it you will be issued a new serial no. plate and a new title. All this takes time don't be impatient, but you will get your title.
This is correct. Use to be easy, but it is a headache now.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
soup1279 said:
Sometimes in PA it's more economical to buy a trailer with a title than it is to try and get a title for one without one. In most cases it is also less of a headache.
I totally agree with this.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
My dad got a reconstructed title for an old snowmobile trailer. Took months but he did it. He replace about 75% of the steel, taking pictures, and had it inspected, etc.

I think there was a time where both PA & NJ titled the boat and registered the boat and trailer. There should be a way!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts