The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into my first trailcam. From personal experience which one would you go with and why? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I bought the less expensive wildview, it works for what i need it for, then there are times i wish i had a better one, more pixels, then i think about theft, I read about so many guys having them stolen. I have had too many tree stands stolen, so I won't put a $100 + out there for some one to take. I guess it depends on the quality you want and how much you want to spend, they come in all price ranges and picture quality.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I'm still deciding. Some just use a trail cam to take pictures of a corn feeder and some deer present. Lot of newbies will have trouble accepting a cam under $100, that doesn't take as nice a picture as their computer monitor.

Of course, the trail cam poachers will love those future $300 and $400 trail cams!

·
Registered
336 Posts
I bought a cuddeback capture flash and i love it. Takes great quality night and day pictures, has amazing trigger speed, and it doesn't eat batteries (still on my first set this year and its been out since end of June). I also bought the Bear Box for it which attaches to the tree with 2 lag bolts. Only bad thing about that is I can't put it on public land.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am willing to pay more for better quality images, etc. We are leasing some land and would like to give it a go there. Sadly, I too am concerned about "fellow hunters" stealing MY property.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I like the Cuddeback Capture Flash also. It takes really good pictures. And the Bear Box keeps people from messing with it, at least where I hunt anyways.

·
Registered
351 Posts
i have a wildview. for the price you cant beat it. less batteries then others and they seam to hold up well in extreme conditions. very easy to use and each pic will have date time temp and moon phase on it. they arent the best pics but i use mine to patern the deer and to see if there are any large bucks. if you want to get perfect pics and dont mind spending the money look into the cuddeback or bushnell.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I bought the Primos Truth cam 60. Did a good job for about a week. Then it quit working. New item for primos and they are still working out the kinks. Great customer service. The Truthcam 60 is on back order so they sent me the Truth Cam 46. Told me to use this one until they get a shippment in and they will send me out the Truth Cam 60 and because I had to wait a few weeks for me to just keep the Truth Cam 46. Can't beat that for customer service. That's a $140 camera.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I have a Cuddeback Capture IR that works great and is easy on batteries. However, for the price of one Cuddeback, you can buy two Moultrie cameras and double your coverage. I have several Moultries and I don't think they can be beat for the money.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Have a Moultrie that has done great. Just picked up the Wildgame IR 2,performing well and battery life is at least a month and a half.

You need to ask exactly what you want the camera four. Is it just for seeing whats in the area, overwatching a feeder or possible stand location. How many megapixels do you need if all you are doing is using it for scouting. Do you need the video option? I have never used it. Trigger speed should be considered. I like the Moultries because they have a laser aim which ensures that you are aiming it the right area.

You can pay $200 for a camera that does the same thing as a $100. Plus if some idiot does find your camera and decides he wants it, which one would hurt less losing. My 10cents because i hate pennies.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
I have two wildviews and two moultries. I like the moultries better. They are both easy to setup

·
Registered
946 Posts
I keep cameras out year round, a Moultrie, a Scoutguard, and a Bushnell Trophy Cam. The Bushnell is my favorite and takes thousands of good pictures every year on one set of batteries. I'm looking to get another Bushnell soon.

V

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Q2XL12 said:
I have two wildviews and two moultries. I like the moultries better. They are both easy to setup
I have one of each, but I am partial to the moultries as well. I got both new for under $100 each. The Moultrie is the D55IR and the Wildview is the ir3d. They are by no means top end, but as stated by someone else . . . they serve the purpose and I feel comfortable leaving them in the woods.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
bushnell trophy cam takes really good photos but for $80 less you can get the moutrie D55IR which just as good A good friend uses the Bushnell and I was about to buy one when bass pro shops had the DI55 on sale from 120 to 92
I got 2 of them for the same price as a bushnell. I read allot of reviews online and Id stay away from the cheaper wildviews

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
The Moultries are better on battery life than the wildviews. I kept my I40 out all year on one set of batteries. That was through all the cold weather and snow we had. Some of the pics showed negative temperatures on them and the batteries still held up

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
whatever you get dont get suckered into buying a higher MP camera. 5 is plenty, mine are all 3 or less. If you get one of the 8 MP ones it will use up your memory card fast, plus it takes more battery power to store the bigger images. I also would stay away from the IR cameras, I dont think they take nearly as good pics in the dark as the standard flash cameras, and the flash cams are cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
13,626 Posts
Recently purchased three Bushnell Trophy cams. They are getting more pictures than my 3 Stealth cams when set side to side. Have two old Cuddeback using film and they are still working.....

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Born2Hunt said:
Recently purchased three Bushnell Trophy cams. They are getting more pictures than my 3 Stealth cams when set side to side. Have two old Cuddeback using film and they are still working.....
Are those the new models that Waddell talks about on the recent commercials?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Heit said:
Born2Hunt said:

Are those the new models that Waddell talks about on the recent commercials?
Yes, Waddell peddles Bushnell and some Trophy Cams carry the Bone Collector logo for a few bucks more. I have the older 5MP camo model that I got for $199 and it works great. I'll be looking for the cheaper 5MP non-camo version for a few bucks less.

V

1 - 20 of 29 Posts