The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some different options when taking something along to eat while backpacking/hunting/fishing other than the same old, same old, and store bought items. Seems the price of granola bars keeps going up and they keep getting smaller.
Anybody make their own granola bars or something similar?

Looking for all kinds of ideas really, hot or cold. I have a Sterno Folding stove that I like as it folds flat and the fuel cans don't take up too much space, mostly use it for coffee though.

Figured it would make a good topic and am interested in hearing some new ideas or what others take along out on the trail.

·
Registered
12,791 Posts
Ain`t that the truth man!! Doesn`t it seam like everything is getting smaller at the stores and the price keeps rising
It`s getting crazy. I swear this all started with coffee cans about 10-15 years ago when they went frm 36 oz to 32 oz and then cereal boxes did it and it keeps getting worse.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
The first night of a backpacking trip I carry a frozen steak for an early dinner . After that a tube of peanut butter and a tube of jelly are great for short breaks and an energy boost. Although on the pricey side , the dehydrated foods are quite good and easy . Werthers hard candies are nice while walking , too. Good recipes on allrecipes.com for granola bars and similar things . Take some good hikes and lots of those nice photos to share with us old farts !!

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
Planning out meals for a 2 week sting. Dinners are consisting of Mountain House meals. Researching ideas for b-fast, lunch and mid-morning, mid-afternoon snacks.

·
Registered
982 Posts
pop tarts, mountain house breakfast, oatmeal - breakfast tube peanut butter and jelly, canned meat (sardines, tuna) with wrap bread and candy snacks. You hiking in or getting your gear in another way?

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
Hiking in.
Some other ideas.

Granola, powdered milk and powdered protein in a baggie. Just add water when ready.

Peanut butter, bacon and honey on a bagel.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Camping with the scouts has changed a lot of the way I eat in the woods, its a lot better. I use a MSR pocket rocket for a stove, light and lasts a long time if you keep your meals to boiling water. Did 4 days out of a pack, 60 mi down the Alegehenny, and I didnt lose weight.

Breakfast:
Oatmeal; cup of oatmeal, tbsp of powdered milk, 2 tsp splenda, and 1/4 C raisins in a qt freezer bag. Add 2c boiling water to bag and mix, eat out of the bag.
Rice and raisns; Minute rice 1C (?) raisins 1/3c, 1/4c powdered milk, sugar or sweetner. (not sure on quantities on this, its in the internet)

Lunch:
cheezy bacon taters recipie at home, in fact, will continue this at home

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Cheesy Bacon Taters (CBT)
Single person version, it makes enough so be hungry.
• 1 bag instant 4 cheese potatoes (2 bags/Great Val box)
• 1/4C instant milk
• 1tsp Butter Buds
• 2 tsp. parsley flakes
• 1 tsp. onion flakes
• A pinch of pepper
• ½ pkg. of Great Value crumbled bacon or 3-4 strips dehydrated ham
AT HOME: Put all of the ingredients into a quart freezer zip lock type bag.
ON THE TRAIL: Boil 2 cups of water, add water to bag, stir well, let stand. You may want to add a little water after it sits, cold is fine.
Comment: You could cut this in half to use as a side or lunch, or for a lighter eater. This one is a keeper.

(dehydrated ham: slice lunch meat into 1 in strips, and toss on the dehydrator. Like bacon in recipies and good for snacking)

Rice and raisins breakfast
• 1/3c powdered milk
• 1c Minute Rice
• 4 tsp sugar
• 1/8 tsp cinnamon
• Nutmeg, pinch
• 1/4c raisins
• 1 ¼ c boiling water

Put all in a ziplock bag. Bring water to boil, add water, stir, wait about 7-10 min and eat.
Comments: easy breakfast, sometimes it seems to take a while for the rice to absorb the water but it will.

OK, for dinner, If you like Chicken alfredo you are in good shape. Downside is you have to clean the pot. That means a 1/2 sponge and a little bottle of dishwashing liquid. Tip, put Dawn (aka super soap, dishes, bodies, laundry) in one of those airplane legal containers. Works to wash the funk off of you to. Wouldnt recommend the apple scented kind, but I used it.

The bag chicken is the best thing to happen to camping since fire.
Take a chicken Alfredo pack http://www.letsmakeknorr.com/Products/1210/Alfredo.aspx like this. At home, open the bag and add contents, dried milk and butter buds. Sub what the package calls for, ie 1c milk = 1/3c dried milk, butter buds are 1:1. Put all of the dry ingredients into a qt freezer bag.
In the field, boil the noodles and stuff from the qt bag in a pot, then cut back to simmer. Add chicken pack http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/02/37/00/05/0002370005117_500X500.jpg and simmer 2 min, cover and wait 7-10 min.

Works with other pasta sides to.

You can do beef stroganoff to, takes a little more prep though. You have to brown ground beef, drain it and the dry it on a dehydrator. Trick to keep the little beef chunks from falling through the holes is to put cheese cloth on the dehydrator.
If you have a dehydrator, dried apples, brown sugar and cinnamon in a qt freezer bag works well. Add a few drops of water and let it slightly rehydrate, making the sugar stick, is kinda nice.
Dried bananas in the oatmeal is good for potassium if you are walking.

Bagles are good, carry a block of cheese, it wont go bad, and some summer sausage. If you dont unwrap it, it lasts w/o refrigeration. If you vacume pack the bagles, they look funny, but taste good.

Instant vanilla pudding with dried bananas and dried milk is OK. I wouldnt drive across town for it, but for the woods, ok.

I added 2 gatoraid drink mixes and 2 iced tea mixes 4 coffee singles (2/cup), 2 granola bars and vacuum packed each days food and labled what was in it.

I did baco spuds and bagel's cheese/sausage for lunch, stroganoff and alfredo's for dinner, and rice and oats for breakfast. Coffee for AM and lunch, granola for snacks, and drink mixes all day long.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
TPlank said:
Planning out meals for a 2 week sting. Dinners are consisting of Mountain House meals. Researching ideas for b-fast, lunch and mid-morning, mid-afternoon snacks.
You knock over a bank? Mt. House is a bit steep. You could buy a dehydrator at wally world for 1/2 what you are going to have involved in pre packed stuff.

They are fine, and it is kind of nice once in a while to do a grab meal. I have some standing by in case I don't have time to get my stuff together.

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
13 entrees and 4 breakfasts for a $100. How much for a dehydrator, ingredients, my time, etc? I'm fine spending the money.

(4) chicken & rice
(2) chicken ala king
(2) beef stroganoff
(1) chicken teriyaki
(2) sweet & sour pork
(2) spaghetti
(4) granola w/ blueberries
Total shipped = $103

Looking online the cheapest dehydrator at WalMart starts at $34
I do not hike/camp often where I need food like this.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Only two words needs to be uttered to draw you in to the dried food world,

deer jerky

Just drying apples for the kids (yeah, thats the reason, kids
) and jerky are good reasons to have one. As to time, unless someone would be paying you to do something else, its not a factor.

Jerky:
slice meat is 1/4 inch wide slices, then closer they are to even the better it will dry. Soak in a brine in a large stock pot, with sea salt (not iodized), cayanne pepper, 1/2 bottle of liquid smoke, some worchestershire sauce, black pepper, molasses, brown sugar, pretty much whatever in whatever quantities you want. After soaking for a day, I like to dry rub with something while it is still wet going on the dehydrator, like pepper, or cajun seasoning (this one is a hit)
Dry until the meat cracks when bent and most of the moisture is gone.

And once you dry ham, if you like bacon in foods.....................................

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
To each their own, just not my thing. I had a dehydrator given to me years ago for a Christmas gift. Used it once, maybe twice.

Get online, order food, have it shipped to my door, easy peasy, lemon squeezy..... Leaves me with time to do other things that need done.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Hey guys ,if you are a member of Costco ,they have a boxed variety of Mountain House dehydrated food at this time. I happened to see it last week and think that for 40 dollars there are twelve separate meals .

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Search for "The Supermarket Backpacker" a ton of ideas for one pot meals. etc. all made from available products.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts