The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,736 Posts
Could you post a closeup photo of the bracket?

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This was the original info that I pulled from QDMA. The bottom picture is mine and I've found that by using a longer, smaller diameter eye screw, it's easier to screw into the tree and keeps the camera out from the tree a little further which allows for more adjustment.
1 Screw Eye: 2 inch
1 Eyebolt: 1/4 x 2 inches
1 Hex bolt: 3/8 x 1 inches
1 Hex nut: 3/8 inch
1 Wing nut: 1/4 inch
3 Washers: 5/16 inch
1 Lock Washer: 3/8 inch

Product Wood Font Household hardware Bottle cap

Wood Electric blue Knot Rope Wire

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I made some of those exact brackets. If your in bear country, they will push your camera out of the view you want. Had it happen to me several times at camp. They made me go back to the strap. I do use those brackets at home, no bear around these parts.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In bear country always wash or sanitize your hands before handling your cameras.......
I've tried everything and I can't keep the bears off of my cameras or pop-up blinds. I've even gone as far as always wearing latex gloves. Nothing seems to help.
Bears have the ability to smell through their mouths as well as their noses. This big boar clearly hears my camera start videoing, and stops in its tracks. Before taking another step it utilizes the Jacobson organ in the roof of its mouth in an attempt to scent any potential danger. It eventually ferreted out the camera and knocked it down. When it comes to equipment, I just can't seem to get anything past them. They're probably climbing into my treestands when I'm not there as well.
PIRT0020.MOV

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
That's a fantastic video of a bear utilizing far and away his most important sense! I have been fortunate. In 13 years only one problem and that was a female with 4 rambunctious cubs. I use nearly the same kind of mounts and one morning momma pulled one down with her paw and snapped the eye screw. The camera survived.

Since May 4th this year I can id 6 different bears on the cams, not counting cubs. I know I have been very fortunate not to lose any cameras and thought my clean hand rule was the main reason. However you're correct, I doubt that would fool a bears nose.

Reactions: TBrom
1 - 14 of 14 Posts