The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who invented the Trail Cam?

The latest issue of the Pa. Game News has a great article about how George Shiras pioneer the first night photos of Deer.
This all started with Shiras's love of the outdoors more than 100 years ago!
Born in Allegheny, Pa, George Shiras is recognized as the first to set up cameras to take photographs of wildlife automatically.

Great read. Thanks Pennsylvania Game News

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Before trail cams...
The first trail thing I used was a timer. I don't recall the year. Anyone remember these gadgets? Been a long time ago.
I attached trip wire to other side of trail.
Gadget would record time string was tripped. No pictures, just the time. Primitive nowadays, but that's all we had.
I used mine for predator movement. Setting trip wire lower for Fox & Coon. But a Deer could also trip timer. So numbers varied and I quickly realized it wasn't too useful for my purpose. Gave it to Brother in Law, who used it for scouting Archery Deer movement, way back then.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Had a bunch of those trail timers. Used to set them on trails coming to the hay fields. the problem was you never knew what pulled the trip string. back in the day that was all we had and our own knewledge. set on them fields many evenings to see what come out

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Before trail cams...
The first trail thing I used was a timer. I don't recall the year. Anyone remember these gadgets? Been a long time ago.
Gadget would record time string was tripped. No pictures, just the time. Primitive nowadays, but that's all we had.
I used mine for predator movement. Setting trip wire lower for Fox & Coon. But a Deer could also trip timer. So numbers varied and I quickly realized it wasn't too useful for my purpose. Gave it to Brother in Law, who used it for scouting Archery Deer movement, way back then.
My Uncle told me about those when I first started archery hunting.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Before trail cams...

Had two. Tried setting it high enough that deer only would trip it. Guesstimate at best as to what tripped it.

Was really glad when 35mm trail cams came out. I had a deal with the local photo developer that they would charge me only for the pictures that were developed. Something like $.25/picture. There were a lot of blanks. Maybe 5-10 actual pictures in a roll of film. Sometimes 0.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...the problem was you never knew what pulled the trip string.
LOL...exactly. The latest technology

·
Registered
195 Posts
Back in the 60's my grandfather had a trigger stick on his cameras (still and 8 mm) set up to catch birds at his feeders on film. I'm sure he wasn't the first, but .....

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been on this site since it started...
Years ago, a member on this site made and sold trail cams to other members.
Does anyone remember who that was and what year?

·
Banned
813 Posts
Before trail cams...
Like you I used trail timers made by Game Tracker ( I set them high enough off the ground that only bucks would trip them)
But to answer your question, Game Tracker also introduced the first trail camera to the market.
I bought one as soon as it hit the stores, it was 2 olive green plastic platforms with 4 large black screws and wing nuts and you put a 35 MM. camera ( that you supplied) in between the 2 plastic platforms and used the screws to adjust it and fit it to your camera.
The front and back of it was exposed to the elements. Then Camtracker & Buckshot 35 came out with models that came with a camera and had a case to protect it. ( I bought both of those as well)

·
Banned
813 Posts
I've been on this site since it started...
Years ago, a member on this site made and sold trail cams to other members.
Does anyone remember who that was and what year?
There was a couple guys but Todd Plank was the main guy.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Todd Plank was the main guy.
T Plank is the guy I remember. Thank you.
Is he still a member of this site?

I've made a few, never sold any. No one wants my handiwork:smile_big: There are many out there that do, PM me if you want a few contacts.

·
Banned
813 Posts
Todd Plank was the main guy.
T Plank is the guy I remember. Thank you.
Is he still a member of this site?
last time I saw him and conversed with him on here it was 7-8 years ago, he posted in the Archery forum about a very nice buck he killed during the rut that he previously wounded in the early season, It was pretty neat that he got a 2nd chance at the same buck.

·
Super Moderator
13,419 Posts
Before trail cams...
It was the early 1980's.....I too had these all over the woods, just knew something tall passed through the string and the location of the string would give away the direction of travel. I also would try to scrape up the dirt in the area in an effort to see the size of tracks.

I once strung binder twine over the top of a fence in both directions to discourage deer from jumping over at many of their trails leaving a funnel at a location the fence was down in a effort to get them to walk through my string gadget; however, one of the major flaws was it record the time the first deer passed through, but not how many, which direction the others were traveling or when.

It was the best we had at the time and I spend a lot of hours setting and checking them. I was exited to check them and found the best evidence provided was I could determine the time the first deer of the evening was entering a crop field.

So when Trail cams came along I was eager to start a new habit which I still do today and enjoy very much. Much can be learned most of all there are nice bucks in the woods, they mostly travel at night and I am often setting in the wrong stand on a given day.

On the positive side I never had one stolen....

·
Registered
836 Posts
Was really glad when 35mm trail cams came out. I had a deal with the local photo developer that they would charge me only for the pictures that were developed. Something like $.25/picture. There were a lot of blanks. Maybe 5-10 actual pictures in a roll of film. Sometimes 0.
ah the days of running to the store to pick up prints only to find blanks. Good times.

·
Banned
813 Posts
ah the days of running to the store to pick up prints only to find blanks. Good times.
I was too impatient to drop the film off and and return to pick the pics up. I took them to the 1 hour photo and stood there waiting only to be disappointed by 36 pics of a squirrel.

·
Super Moderator
13,419 Posts
One year while hunting at a camp in IN I put out a trail cam at one of my tree stand locations. I saw some very nice IN bucks while in the stand and passed hoping for a buck of a life time. A buddy of mine who owned the camp drove me to Walmart to get my pictures developed.

On the way out of the store I glanced at the photos and place one of interest in the middle of the stack. When I returned to the vehicle my buddy ask to see the pictures. He looked through the photos acknowledging some nice bucks then he saw the one I placed in the middle.

I saw him starring and starring at the photo just nodding his head saying nothing. When we returned to the camp he when with me to my stand on his way to a further location. When we got there I saw him pullout the picture, he compared it to the land scape to verify it was intact taken there.

He fully believed I had slipped in a ringer picture and told me so. He then said I have been hunting these woods for 55 years, routinely talk to all the farmers, mailmen, fishermen on the river, trappers, wardens and never have I seen or heard of antlers like that and he has taken many good bucks and is one of those guys who get his buck almost every year.

We never saw this buck in person, but it was the largest 8 point I have ever seen in person or in pictures. I have a nice 140's eight point but this bucks antlers makes mine look like a yearling. I took a 154 at the camp and the picture 8 point would score more that that buck.

My point is I believe there are sometime much bigger bucks out there any do most of their traveling at night never to be seen during the day and T. cams are a huge asset it finding these monsters.

Now getting a shot at them is another issue.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts