The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having this talk with a fella that asked me if it would be okay to use Trail Boss smokeless powder in his inline muzzle loader. I told him that I would advise against it, if it says BP only then that's what it means. He has a T/C Omega. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
It'll "work" once..
Seriously, no.
Not by any definition is it a suitable blackpowder substitute.
And there's better options for those handful of MLs out there designed for using smokeless.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I run a smokeless MZ and they do not start out life as an inline. Most MZ's run around 20k psi. Smokeless MZ run around 40k psi. Thats a big difference. I've also heard people in the industry say that most MZ's aren't made out of the same grade of steel or go through as many QC checks as CF barrels. I don't know if thats true or not but it wouldnt surprise me.

Smokeless Powder builds high pressure quickly. Even in smokeless MZ's, theres not much of a difference between a functional gun and a pipe bomb next to your face.

Reactions: Waynzee

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Stupid was as Stupid did.

BLACKPOWDER OR PRODEX ONLY DO NOT USE SMOKELESS POWDER

That's as plain as it gets....

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, I told him too about the same as you fellas have posted here, he thought if he used a small amount of trail boss it'd be okay. Sometimes ya just have to shake your head at what people think.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts