The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am driving to the Outer Banks in late June. It has been a number of years since I have done this.
I am trying to decide which route to take that I have done in the past.

Was wondering if anyone knows: A.) Is there any construction going on the DC Beltway right now? and B.) How heavy is the traffic likely to be around 5pm on a Saturday?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
while I haven't made the trip recently.so I don't know about current construction. But it seems something was always going on when I did
I have made dozens of runs thru that area in the past.
I basically avoid the drive unless its in an off peak hour.
no later then 5am or after 7pm

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Kudu,

We live in Manassas and are experts at navigating around DC.

Absolutely do not try to come through the beltway on Saturday at 5 PM. That means you'll be driving down 95 south through Northern Virginia at around 530. That is just not going to work.

Sure, you may get lucky, but I would avoid that at all costs. Traffic from the beltway all the way down to Fredericksburg is absolutely miserable on a Saturday, and just as miserable heading north on a Sunday.

I know that you are restricted in your vacation days, but if there is anyway you could make the trip in the middle of the day on a weekday that would be best.

Otherwise, delay your trip a few hours and head down through here at around 9 PM. Or'start very early and get through DC before 7 AM.

Good luck with your trip!

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
If that is your only time of day, I would recommend Route 15 to Route 17, and bypass the whole NCR area! Or I-81 to I-64, and pick up I-95 in Richmond.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the responses. About what I expected.

My problem is that I have to work the day I leave, daylight shift until 1 pm. I live 5 min from work so I'm going straight home, hopping in the truck and leaving.

Coming from NE of Pittsburgh. I'm going to take the PA Pike to Breezewood. Then swing south to Winchester and then over to 95.

Figured it was worth asking about the beltway......and I knew I'd get the answer on here.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
We go 15 to 17. You come out at Fredericksburg. I drive the beltway for work on a regular basis, the only way to avoid traffic is to hit it between 4-5 am, or earlier.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
Retired_Rusty said:
If that is your only time of day, I would recommend Route 15 to Route 17, and bypass the whole NCR area! Or I-81 to I-64, and pick up I-95 in Richmond.
I agree with this. On the Capital Beltway there is always construction or an accident - maybe both in quantity. And the people who mostly use it are aggressive drivers who are not sympathetic to the folks who are not familiar with the roadway. It's not as bad as Boston, but pretty darned close.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
Avoid it if you can..You get on the inner, thinking you are on the outer,easy to get turned around on there..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts