The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you all had any experience with em?The Trapper 50cal flint looks like it would be fun in the early and late muzzy season and the Vorteck in the regular firearms season(if legal)would also be a hoot.

·
Banned
900 Posts
I built one from a kit. Groups very well at 25yds. I modified the stock a bit at the butt. The end of the stock was chipped deeply in the kit. I added a piece of black walnut and changed the shape. Did not like the brass end cap anyway. The factory inletting was not very good and I still have to address the gap around the lock. Lots of fun to build and even more fun to shoot. Carried it late season but did not get a shot with it.

·
6,450 Posts
I have one and it is a pretty good shooter the lock is pretty cheap on it but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice Jester,I see what you mean about the inleeting.Do you have the Trapper Tree,and did you buy yours as a kit or factory built?

·
6,450 Posts
yep the trapper and it was factory built.....im not knocking the gun I love mine and it was worth what I paid

·
Banned
900 Posts
good ole boy said:
Nice Jester,I see what you mean about the inleeting.Do you have the Trapper Tree,and did you buy yours as a kit or factory built?
NOt sure what the trapper tree is. I got it in kit form and the inletting was already poor when I made it worse in places. The to get the lock to fit in some places it was gapped in others. My wife ordered it from Midway as far as I know. It was about $179 3 years ago.

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Their isn,t a pistol named the Trapper tree.I was askin Treestand(Tree for short)if his pistol was the Trapper from Traditions..What brand is yours Jester,a Traditions?

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
The traditions trapper is a hand full. Large, a bit clunky and front heavy. It looks like a clone of the TC Patriot, but is probably almost twice as heavy.
They will take some stiff loads with ease
The lock quality is not real good. I have the trapper in flint and have yet to get it to go off reliably.

I'm not sure why Traditions uses that backwards double set trigger. Should have used a single set like pedersoli does.

The traditions barrel is a good deep rifle round ball barrel.

I do a fair amount of muzzle loader pistol shooting and not many come that heavy.

As for the Vortek pistol, it is a souped up 209 pistol. I have the older Buck Hunter pistol as well as the TC Scout Pistol. The Scout pistol is a bear for weight, but is rated for 80 and 90 grain charges.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I just got one of these, kentucky bounty pistol, Its great, Hot spark, vg quality. Glad I spent a few dollars more, Has 2 year warranty also.

Good Luck, Stan

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
I have not handled the Vortek or any of the new pistols. I do have the slightly older ones i mentioned above.

The bounty has a long barrel and almost requires a two hand hold or rest.

The Trapper is a hefty pistol. but the manufacturer's suggested loads are kind of weak.

Same for the Italian and Spanish Kentucky pistols.

There are two ways to get more oomph out of a pistol. More powder, or bigger caliber. A larger caliber permits more powder to burn in a shorter barrel space. The problem with some bigger calibers is more weight for the extra barrel mass.

There are a few custom pistol makers out there. I would really like a Northstar West Trade pistol, but the cost has me putting it off. I would get one in 24 ga (58 caliber) to go with my long trade gun.

The traditions kentucky is a bit lighter than the trapper, but the trigger pull is often quite heavy. Pedersoli makes a wide selection of flint muzzle loaders. Their kentucky and bounty hunter are good choices. However, I would prefer a 54 over a 50 cal.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've been searching through some of the major web sites loking for flintlock pistol kits. The problem is I am only seeing percusion kits. Doesn't anyone sell flinters anymore?

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Hit the price bar and it will stack low to high.

·
Banned
900 Posts
I get great ignition with my Trapper and it shoots well. It is heavy and clunky for sure and the lock is typical Traditions, cheap. My only issues is that I repeatedly load it without a powder charge.....like 3 times in a row one day and at least 3 more times the last couple times I had it out. For some reason I seem to get distracted. Good luck on the search and hope to see what ya settle on.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
$295.00 for a Pedersoli 54cal. Kentuck kit @ Dixie is pretty reasonable. Might go with one myself! $415.00 if ya dont want to bother with a kit!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts