The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the gun for free ! I have not tried firing it !
Any one tell me if it will fire loose powder,2f black,dependably ?
I will be using or trying 240 grain Cheap Shots with it .

·
Registered
18,906 Posts
My experience with any flintlock is that black powder will provide more reliable ignition than any substitute.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Have fired mine at least 50 times and only had 2 or 3 fail to fires using 2f. Keep a good flint on it and keep your touchhole clean and you should be fine. Ive however not had good accuracy using sabots in that gun or my tc firestorm. 1 in 48 twist is a bit slow to stabilize sabots.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Mentioned about the ignition in above post but as far as loads mine shoots very accurate with a couple. It shot 245gr powerbelt aerotips very accurately over 70 and 80grs 2f but I have had issues with the powerbelts on game performance in my other muzzies so I chose not to use it for hunting. My hunting load is a 275gr TC maxihunter over 80grs 2F. More accurate than I can field shoot and have had good on game performance. I have found that this rifle and my other 1-48 twist flinters prefer a shorter, lighter bullet. Also dont be afraid to try the old tried and true patched round ball. Have used them in my other flinters and played around with some different combos in the pa pellet this summer but ran short on time to work up my hunting load in time for this season. Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use 2 pyrodex pellets and traditions smackdown sst's 250 grain. My favorite gun and very accurate. Make sure to get some pan powder in to the hole then get the pan 3/4 full. It's instant ignition.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Have fired mine at least 50 times and only had 2 or 3 fail to fires using 2f. Keep a good flint on it and keep your touchhole clean and you should be fine. Ive however not had good accuracy using sabots in that gun or my tc firestorm. 1 in 48 twist is a bit slow to stabilize sabots.
You might want to try PA conicals. My rifles are 1 in 48 as well and they shoot less than 1.5 MOA, and Ive shot a few 1 MOA groups. The gun can probably do better than that, I am sure that my eyes and the iron sights are most of the variation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts