The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Traditions Deerhunter

5K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  tgun43 
#1 ·
Was just given a free bee does anybody use one of these ? I own two TC flintlocks now, Is this worth setting it up for my son ?

#3 ·
I have had a TC Renegade, Lyman Great Plains, and Cabela's all 50 cal. Sold em all and now have just the Traditions. With my age, I did not want to carry them other cannons any longer. The Traditions is not quality, but weighs about 6 lbs. No problems with it yet, except getting the ramrod to stay in place and I fixed that.

#4 ·
That's what I wanted to hear, It is light and he is only 8, But he is not recoil shy at all. He has shot my M1A, M1 Garand (navy version 308) down to my 45-70 Encore carbine. He told me he wanted his own muzzle loader, Maybe shoot the thing this weekend. Thanks

#5 ·
Nothing wrong with a Traditions...especially if free! Likely prior owner has already filled you in on gun's own personality as they all are different!!

Great gettin your Son into smokin...MLin that is!!

#8 ·
Just got back from the club put a prb through it, I don't know what load my buddy was shooting and he couldn't either so I started with 50 grains of FFF, only hit 1 1/2 inches low at 50 yds but dead center. Willie took over and put 5 holes in a 5 inch group centered perfect. I guess these things can shoot pretty good for the money. Hope to get out again soon and play with different charges.

#9 ·
With my Trad. Deer hunter, I would not place any 4f in the pan until I saw a deer. My lock was not made very well & I would lose all the 4f if I tilted the gun.

#10 ·
I bought one for my son a couple years ago used. at first I did not like the gun but with a few little adjustments and a little work she is a reliable gun. I changed the touch hole line to the allen head type and drilled it out a little. had the same problem with the pan cover a little filing took care of that. I also took the lock apart cleaned and polished some parts lubed it up. My son also bought a wood kit stock from traditions finished it and now we have a very light and reliable extra smoke pole as he kidnapped the 54 cal gpr I put together this summer.

Mpo is that all flints need a little tinkering but that is what makes them fun. Try some rich pierce flints in that gun you will love them

#11 ·
I use a traditions deerhunter. When I was looking to get one, it was cheap and left handed. You mentioned that you tried powerbelts with the gun, let us know how it does if you shoot them again. I had mine sighted in with powerbelts, and then the next time I went out it wasn't shooting them right; and i hadn't changed a thing. The shots were all over the target and they looked like they were going through the target sideways. Now I shoot conicals (I think T/C 195 grain). Shoots great, and it is 2/2 in the late season.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.