The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...so the proposal is for a Sat. start in 2020. And The next day is the Sunday hunt. So are all the pro Sunday hunting/"traditional" Monday supporters gonna whine about Sunday too?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
OK...so the proposal is for a Sat. start in 2020. And The next day is the Sunday hunt. So are all the pro Sunday hunting/"traditional" Monday supporters gonna whine about Sunday too?

Well, yeah. >:):grin2:

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Why not just open it on Sunday. I’m sick of hearing about the extra day. The woods were dead by Monday this past year, but guys were back in force on Saturday. Now with the concurrent season’s coming back, there will be 2 days of activity , Saturday and Sunday morning. After that it will be dead for the remainder of the season.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I was all for the Saturday opener to maybe give new, or workbound hunters an equal oppurtunity, buttttt, this seems different....I didn't go on the Saturday, I know Sunday will be out of the game.

·
Registered
25,657 Posts
After 60 some years, I just show up, hunt and make the best of things. Doesn't mean I have to like it?

:sad:

I'd like it if more hunters showed up closer to the numbers they once did, where I hunt. Doubt I heard two dozen shots locally, on opening Saturday?

I'd like it if more people got off'n their duffs and moved around like was once the case on a normal opening day. Guess those days are gone, too?

If more hunters showed up and more of 'em moved about a bit, more deer would get pushed out and fewer hunters would be fussing about "ain't no deer", because we have oodles of deer around the area.

As a long time camp owner, I missed the previous three days of toil and joy involved with that period before opening day. I adapted. Doesn't mean I have to like it. Sunday will be fine with me, same for concurrent seasons. Never had a doe tag before 1986, so I can be flexible when needed.

0:)

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
A buddy of mine has a camp up in\near Smethport. There are zero hunters on his property (he doesn't post) and next to zero hunters on the adjacent properties.

So.....every day of dear season is the first day. If nobody hunts the area.....the deer don't even know it's deer season.

Just sayin.......

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Anyone that was surprised at the Saturday Opener(Bear & Deer) layover days being tacked on as a Sunday Hunting Days.....well just mebbie they were born yesterday!! lol Hat's off to our PGC with this positive decision!!

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
After 60 some years, I just show up, hunt and make the best of things. Doesn't mean I have to like it?

:sad:

I'd like it if more hunters showed up closer to the numbers they once did, where I hunt. Doubt I heard two dozen shots locally, on opening Saturday?

I'd like it if more people got off'n their duffs and moved around like was once the case on a normal opening day. Guess those days are gone, too?

If more hunters showed up and more of 'em moved about a bit, more deer would get pushed out and fewer hunters would be fussing about "ain't no deer", because we have oodles of deer around the area.

As a long time camp owner, I missed the previous three days of toil and joy involved with that period before opening day. I adapted. Doesn't mean I have to like it. Sunday will be fine with me, same for concurrent seasons. Never had a doe tag before 1986, so I can be flexible when needed.

0:)
A buddy of mine has a camp up in\near Smethport. There are zero hunters on his property (he doesn't post) and next to zero hunters on the adjacent properties.

So.....every day of dear season is the first day. If nobody hunts the area.....the deer don't even know it's deer season.

Just sayin.......
I think most of us that was not in favor of Saturday opener or Sundays just accepts what it is. Im glad someone recognized us as traditionalist because that is what hunting is all about.

All three of these posts sum it up for me. Totally agree with you guys. I love and live my hunting heritage and traditions. Proud to be a traditionalist. That is what hunting is all about. If that's a joke to some then so be it. That ain't going to change and Ill never quit hunting. I don't like the changes and I'm not going to. I don't believe it will slow the loss of hunters enough to make it worth it. Some say, well at lest their doing something. Yeah, well, if your battery is dead on your pickup and I show up and check your tire pressure did I help? No? Well at least I did something. :grin2:
I hunted quite a bit in buck season and most of the flintlock days. I saw ONE other hunter all season. As I've said before that is fine by me. hunting in 2020.

It will only get worse as more and more hunters get their idea of what hunting is from TV and youtube instead of learning it from hunting with fathers, brothers, friends and best of all grandfathers. The best guys to be around are the seasoned old dudes. But if you read a lot the threads and posts around here you see just the opposite thinking. Its all about target bucks, scoring, booners and getting it done.

So be it. I wont quit. I have no intention of changing and I'm not going to like it. I do like the fact that I see a lot of game, shoot many squirrels and many deer and see few hunters. Hope that never changes.

·
Super Moderator
7,948 Posts
You know, I can agree with most of that post, BD, except the treestand stuff.

I've long found that PA hunters don't understand how much our state varies from place to place.

Where I hunt in 5C, if you stop "hanging off trees" and being an "unmotivated squirrel" you're just chasing deer off the little bit of property you have access to hunt. A deer can cross most properties here in a minute or less. I hunt out my back door sometimes in bow season. I have a whopping 2.5 acres! But I have it in a spot where deer sometimes pass by and I have understanding neighbors who allow me to go over and get a deer when I shoot one.

It's just different.

I hunted with a group of guys in 2G this past flintlock season. ENTIRELY different ball game up where we were. The amount of public land and available space was staggering for someone like me coming from 40-100 acre farm parcels being the norm. I can shoot a rifle bullet accurately across most properties here. Up there, one could actually get lost! Imagine that! I wasn't hearing cars, people in their yards, dogs barking, someone banging on something in their yard (seriously, what the heck do so many people need to batter in their yards? Seems like I hear it all the dang time!). I heard nothing but quiet in 2G when I was up there. It was incredible. And there, I can for sure see spending time on foot, although we did some evening sits that were incredibly productive.

My point is.....I often see on various topics posts saying things like "people don't actually hunt anymore, they just sit in trees..."

Sometimes, in some places, that's the best way to roll. Going after them on foot is just filling your neighbor's tags, because he IS sitting in trees and the deer you kicked loose went right by him.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Traditionalist...but the only survivor of the family camp. Had to inconvenience my family to be on my way to camp Friday with one ex-neighbor. We spent Sunday cutting and freezing my buck [first in a few years] and hunted Monday. Went back one Saturday...Got my lifetime combo and a crossbow but didn't score one with it yet...maybe next year...maybe on a Sunday...I will be hunting...

being un-traditionally traditional.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Seems like keeping opening day on Monday and just having two Sundays to hunt would have been a better solution. Plus semi-autos of course.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
You know, I can agree with most of that post, BD, except the treestand stuff.

I've long found that PA hunters don't understand how much our state varies from place to place.

Where I hunt in 5C, if you stop "hanging off trees" and being an "unmotivated squirrel" you're just chasing deer off the little bit of property you have access to hunt. A deer can cross most properties here in a minute or less. I hunt out my back door sometimes in bow season. I have a whopping 2.5 acres! But I have it in a spot where deer sometimes pass by and I have understanding neighbors who allow me to go over and get a deer when I shoot one.

It's just different.

Your right. I have hundreds of thousands of acres to hunt. I admit I never looked at it from a hunters point of view that only has a little bit of ground. Guess I'm painting with to broad a brush. Ill remove that comment from my post..

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I consider myself to be an "Adaptive Traditionalist"..
I primarily hunt the same property that I started out on 30+ years ago, with the "survivors" of the same crew/families I learned from growing up.
The property itself has changed over that time: Fields once used for pasturing cows became hay fields or corn. Areas of timbering for timber or firewood shifted. This impacted understory, bedding areas, travel routes, etc.
Some structures burned down, others went up. A little chunk of land was sold off to relative to build a home, other parcels were acquired.
Neighbors changed too. One particularly "fun" NY transplant decided to "protect" deer for a few seasons by having truckloads of shelled corn dumped in her posted back yard... This caused some plan/spot changes to locate deer without risking baiting entanglements...
As the years went on, drives became less a thing, the number of hunters on the property was dwindling as guys aged out, kids dispersed with families of the own to other points around the state or across country..
Seasons were altered, no longer a separate 3-day doe season, to 2 weeks concurrent, to split weeks...
Through it all, the only constant was a degree of change... faces, patterns, tactics, equipment, new land to explore/hunt, changing regs/seasons/application processes/APRs/allocations/etc.
We adapted, and to this day still enjoy the hunt and each other's company and fellowship just as much as 30 years ago. And we plan to keep on enjoying it, no matter what changes the future brings, for as long as God sees fit to let us.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Let’s do 9 days straight!!!Saturday through the following Sunday. Buck doe and If needed bear too. Short and nice and sweet. Bring archery and flintlock in that Monday after the season!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
All three of these posts sum it up for me. Totally agree with you guys. I love and live my hunting heritage and traditions. Proud to be a traditionalist. That is what hunting is all about. If that's a joke to some then so be it. That ain't going to change and Ill never quit hunting. I don't like the changes and I'm not going to. I don't believe it will slow the loss of hunters enough to make it worth it. Some say, well at lest their doing something. Yeah, well, if your battery is dead on your pickup and I show up and check your tire pressure did I help? No? Well at least I did something. :grin2:
I hunted quite a bit in buck season and most of the flintlock days. I saw ONE other hunter all season. As I've said before that is fine by me. hunting in 2020.

It will only get worse as more and more hunters get their idea of what hunting is from TV and youtube instead of learning it from hunting with fathers, brothers, friends and best of all grandfathers. The best guys to be around are the seasoned old dudes. But if you read a lot the threads and posts around here you see just the opposite thinking. Its all about target bucks, scoring, booners and getting it done.

So be it. I wont quit. I have no intention of changing and I'm not going to like it. I do like the fact that I see a lot of game, shoot many squirrels and many deer and see few hunters. Hope that never changes.
I like your post!!! That’s what is great about the sport we love! We all do it the way it pleases us!
All the changes really are not going to affect me and the way I go about hunting! I really have a hard time seeing Any benefits of some of the changes. But I’m gonna keep on doing it how I like to do it. Gonna try to fill all my tags! Like you, the less people I see while I’m doing it the better I like it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts