The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody heard the rumor about letting professionally owned tracking dogs being allowed to operate in Pa? Supposedly used to recover lost deer that were hit.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
What good is it if they have to be professionals?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I think that as long as the dog is "on a leash" it should be legal. I've lost deer in the past, and know others who have too -- especially in the early archery season when there is still a lot of foliage in the woods, and following a blood trail is difficult. I don't understand some laws; especially any that would making the recovery of a deer difficult or impossible. I mean, it's fine for dogs to recover small game - so why not deer?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So...Why are these professional dog guys trying to get into Pa.? You go home, get out of your hunting stuff and take the dog for a walk. A person has to wonder what is up when special interest groups petition the state.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Some of the "professional dog guys" are members here and nice people. There just trying to open the door for retrieving wounded deer with dogs and it is my understanding that if this is passed and you have a dog you would like to get certified and use to track game that would be possible. Lots of guys already training there labs and such to be shed dogs, they could easily train there dogs to be recovery and get certified. JMHO.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
There are lots of guys who already have trained blood tracking dogs in PA. Those with Drahthaars and Kurzhaars. There might even be some others under german testing systems.

These are trained dogs, not dogs that will be trained. Its part of the testing in order to breed.

But to open this up to just so called professionals or some guy who gets a cerificate from deer tracker.com is just ridiculous. I have no support for it if the laws says tracking needs to be performed by a certified dog or a professional.

Why would you have to have the dog certified? Either you trained him to perform the task so you use its skill, or you take a dog out on a leash that is of no help in finding the deer. To tell everyone they can only use a certified dog just seems like a special interest group that is looking for a way to make a buck.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I think this a major issue that needs to be addressed. I know many of people who wish they could take their dogs out with them to track deer, but it isn't realistic. Maybe dogs who become "certified" by there standards but still just maybe. Owning horses and other livestock I feel this will be a major issue. I have no issues with using dogs...unless it's affecting my personal property. I feel too many individuals will take advantage of the certifiation although there dogs may be interfering with others property particularly livestock...JMO.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
The dogs would have to stay on a leash, they could not be turned loose to track according to the bill I remember so the concern about harrassing cattle and domestic animals isn't valid.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Dogs on a leash aren't very likely to harass livestock. Even dogs that are loose seldom harass livestock. I hunt in plenty of cow/horse pasture fields with my beagles. Sometimes the livestock harasses my dogs, but they learn to run quickly the other way.
Having a tracking dog wouldn't permit you to go on property that you don't have permission.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Well, I'm sure that's the case...but also animals tend to get loose that's just a fact. I've personally lost 2 animals this past year to neighbors dogs who they thought could track deer. I've seen it happen so leashed or not things happen...

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
What animals have you lost G.C.? Did the neighbors have permission? Did they compensate you for the lost livestock? Just wondering.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If your neighbors were allowing their dogs to track deer did you turn them in, it is not legal.

·
Registered
24,761 Posts
In NY there is a requirement to be certified tracking dog for deer recovery.... The Pa bill had no such requirement, just that dog had to be on leash..

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
I've personally lost 2 animals this past year to neighbors dogs who they thought could track deer.
I think it would be interesting to see the account of this. What kind of animals did you lose?
Was there a police report? Was it reported to PGC?
Were they trespassing?

I really can't imagine losing 2 animals to normal, run-of-the-mill hunting tracking dogs. Most game dogs are not attackers.

Share this with us please.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
We lost a few ducks and chickens which isn't "live stock" but they run the neighbors cattle nonetheless. We filed no police report no, because they're our neighbors and our friends. Stuff happens, you get over it. As for our neighbor who has the cattle, he shoots at them. Like I said I don't give a hoot about tracking dogs but they need to be kept under control. On my property no neighbor is considered "trespassing". Hunt if you want, track if you want. I'm not complaining about tracking dogs by any means because it was chickens and ducks...not a big deal or worth putting a dog down for or issuing a major fine. Where I'm from it's not about that. All I'm stating is I've seen it happen with those who carelessly take their dogs out "for a walk" when they wound a deer. To say all tracking dogs will be kept on a leash and will behave accordingly is absurd...they're animals..

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Last I knew, there was no statement in the bill of anybody having to be a"profession" or be "certified" - to my knowledge. It was to allow leashed dogs to track wounded big game, which currently, specifically isn't allowed in PA at this time. My Pudelpointer is bred for this, and although we are NOT at a point in his training where I would even consider letting him run a track off leash on a wounded deer trail, I do believe that most dogs have better noses and prey drive sufficient to lead to more deer recoveries than just humans without either in sufficient quantity or quality.

I also know I grew up in an area where dogs chasing deer get shot, years ago, frequently. Keep 'em leashed if it passes. You can't keep up with your dog on foot, and if it doesn't bay/bark trail or on a find like trained hounds/tracking dogs, you'll having trouble finding your dog now too.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
G.C. Archer said:
We lost a few ducks and chickens which isn't "live stock" but they run the neighbors cattle nonetheless. We filed no police report no, because they're our neighbors and our friends. Stuff happens, you get over it. As for our neighbor who has the cattle, he shoots at them. Like I said I don't give a hoot about tracking dogs but they need to be kept under control. On my property no neighbor is considered "trespassing". Hunt if you want, track if you want. I'm not complaining about tracking dogs by any means because it was chickens and ducks...not a big deal or worth putting a dog down for or issuing a major fine. Where I'm from it's not about that. All I'm stating is I've seen it happen with those who carelessly take their dogs out "for a walk" when they wound a deer. To say all tracking dogs will be kept on a leash and will behave accordingly is absurd...they're animals..
From the sounds of your post it sounds like these dogs are loose quite a bit. Not just for tracking a deer.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
No that's the truth they are. I'm not saying I don't agree with you guys as far as allowing for dogs to track deer, but I am saying it will cause a problem with a lot of people. Realistically, everyone won't keep their dogs on leashes. It will come to a "Watch how good my dog is" and then off the leash. Would I like to see it happen where it's legalized...yes...but will it bother me if not...no not at all. Dogs are excellent animals to find game, but I won't jump to use one. JMO but I think it will cause more problems than its worth.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts