The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to hear from some guys that may have experience with one or the other or maybe both trucks. I really want the Toyota crewmax with the 5.7L and the extra legroom in the cab. The 5.7 is making 381HP. Finding one around the area with low mileage and a reasonable price tag seems to be impossible. Even the used ones with really high mileage seem to be priced at a premium. I have been talking to a dealer about a 2012 Silverado crew cab. It has the 5.3L engine that seems decent but only makes 318HP. The crew cab is not really any larger than my current Ram Quad Cab and can be really tight with the kids in the back in their car seats. The up side is the dealer is making me what seems to be a really good deal and I actually got to speak to the previous owner who loved the truck but has a large family and moved up to a suburban.
I guess my question is what are some positive aspects of the Chevy that I would want to consider over the Toyota Crewmax with more room and power. My Ram is an 05 w/ 70,000 miles and is starting to nickel and dime me to death with minor issues but still issues like rust, shocks, wheel bearings, and things that just need replaced due to wear and tear even though I really take care of my vehicles. The positive thing is it is paid for! I have been stressing out for a couple weeks trying to make a decision of keeping the Ram, waiting for the right deal to come along on the Toyota, or now possibly pulling the trigger on Chevy due to a good deal but sacrificing some of the things I want.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have a 2007 crewmax. I picked it over the others because of the back seat. It was/is the only back seat that is fully adjustable and comfortable for long trips. And it has a ridiculous amount of leg room. You give up bed space though. Only 5 1/2 foot bed which was not an issue with me. With my ARE cap, its the perfect hunters vehicle IMHO

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I went to the Chevy dealer todayand drove the silverado again. I really like the truck and the price was where I want it to be but it is not the truck I really want. The rear cab just isn't big enough. I decided to wait a couple more years for my wifes vehicle to be paid off and then start looking again for what I want want. The 2014 silverado is more like a megacab set up so maybe in a couple years when I am shopping again I will find a nice ued one. Hopefully the Dodge will hold up for me.
Thanks for the replys in the thread and by PM. This is one of those times I can't let one of my want's override my need.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I'm a big Chevy fan and I can already guess what smoke n mack sent you in a PM. I will say that the Tundra was the most uncomfortable truck I've ever rode in. It's a long 16 hour ride to Maine in an uncomfortable truck. Last year we rode in my buddies F-250 and it was way more comfortable in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I should have known I would get varied opinions weather be love or hate. I respect everyones opinion and like all other purchases I'll have to find what fits me best when the time comes. I have no doubt there will good and bad about any truck. Like I said I am going to keep the dodge for now and put a little cash in to it. Hope it can get me through a few more years and then I can pick a truck with everything I want as I will brobably have it for 10+ years

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
222Shooter said:
I have a 2007 crewmax. I picked it over the others because of the back seat. It was/is the only back seat that is fully adjustable and comfortable for long trips. And it has a ridiculous amount of leg room. You give up bed space though. Only 5 1/2 foot bed which was not an issue with me. With my ARE cap, its the perfect hunters vehicle IMHO
It is an awesome truck, the motor is incredible and it towed very nice. That back seat is anything but comfortable on a long trip tho. That's actually my biggest complaint. 16 hours in those seats took a heavy toll.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
I have a 2009 F150 Super Crew and the back seat is huge and comfortable.
My son in law has a 2007 F250 crew cab and the back seat is nowhere as big as mine.
What I love about the large back seat folded up yield plenty of room for gear when my son and I drive to Potter co.
I don't like a cap so in fowl weather I have more than enough room in the back for things I want to keep dry.
Good Luck in your search.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
I personally will never own a Toyota vehicle cause of all the problems they have had over the years.Their trucks in the 2000,s and down I know for a fact were garbage.I have no experience with the full size Tundra so can,t give a comment on them but have heard they had frame problems on some years.You have to live with the truck so I would get what you really like and want.If you get a good validated warranty I wouldn,t sweat it.But I wouldn,t bank on ownin one for 10 years cause the maintenance cost will be to high.The nickle and dimein on your Dodge will be dollars and big money on a Toyota over time.I would get the Chevy for the long haul but if you were to trade often then I would say you would be alright with the Toyota.Just my .02.Good luck.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
The jokes on you cause I,ve seen it first hand more times than you can count.I never seen a Junkota that didn,t rot to the ground and crack cylinder heads.My BIL bought a 1993 P/up brand new and changed cylinders heads and engines and body parts as often as I changed my oil and that was in the 90,s.Those stories aren,t uncommon.I could buy a top quality set of wires,plugs,cap and rotor for a fraction of the cost then he had to pay for wires alone.His clutch parts cost were outrageous.So go ahead and laugh,while I laugh every time we get in our 1989 S-10 with way over 100,000 miles which our workin miles,not grocery getter miles with every original part except the alternator and Toyota talks about quality,don,t make me laugh.Like I said to each his own and buy what you like but you ain,t gonna tell me about Junkyota quality cause I know better.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
To get back on topic I think if it,s a truck that you get a good deal on with a good warranty you,ll be fine.Like I said I don,t have any experience with the Tundras and a lot of guys like em on here so that does mean something.I,m goin on lots of past experience with the 4cyl.trucks with the R engines.I just believe if you are lookin for a truck for a decade or more the F/D/Chevy,s are your best bet and will be cheaper to own over the life of the truck.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I have a 2010 Tundra crew and love it!!! Never had any problems. Routine maintenance is all I've ever done. I guess that there is a reason you don't see many used for sale.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Glad to hear your feedback cc.I don,t see them on the road very often and I don,t think their sale numbers are much to speak of which would account for not seein em for sale also.It shouldn,t be to hard to find sales figures.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Swift said:
John-PA said:
I will say that the Tundra was the most uncomfortable truck I've ever rode in.
Ok , what year and model Tundra!
It was brand new (so I don't know if it was 2013 or 2014 model), like 3 months old or something as of our trip in October, fully loaded. It was the CrewMax, and John isn't lying.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
It was a Crewmax Limited 2013. I stand by my statement of it being the most uncomfortable truck I ever rode in.

I was all set on buying the tundra for my next truck. You don't know how happy I was that we took that trip to maine in it. Probably saved me $45k and a sore back. I'll stick with the Chevy.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts