The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, 30 yard shot, (Ten Point Crossbow) slightly quartering away. Found arrow about 10 yards away with broadhead (NAP Killzone) intact with about 4"-5" penetration, with fat and some blood. Started tracking after a 3 hour wait. Initially tracked for about 100 yards and backed out since it was on the edge of the woods near a known bedding area. Waited another 3 hours and picked the trail back up (quarter size spots give or take) for another 100 yards to where he bedded with some good blood. Then he went another 10 yards after bedding and no blood. Did a grid search with 3 others and came up with nothing. Went back out again yesterday with the same result. He walked passed a camera on the property shortly after the shot. Here's the pic. I was hoping we would get him up and around on camera yesterday, but no luck there either. Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
My guess is he is still up and walking around. Looking at where you hit, I think you hit bone in the shoulder and did not hit anything vital. General tip for quartering away shots, think about where you want the arrow to exit and adjust your point of aim, it may be father back then you would think.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My guess is he is still up and walking around. Looking at where you hit, I think you hit bone in the shoulder and did not hit anything vital. General tip for quartering away shots, think about where you want the arrow to exit and adjust your point of aim, it may be father back then you would think.

Having the same thoughts. Thanks for the tip. I am aware to shoot for the exit :(. He came thru and I had an opening where I needed to stop him. That all went well and there was a tree that I thought was covering his shoulder. I was more concerned about shooting too far back because of this. May have over compensated and just got inside the tree, don't know.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
With a quartering away shot, I agree with nomad....I do not think you hit anything vital on that buck. In my opinion, as long as he stays away from an infection, he will recover from that wound.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Not to hijack your thread, but I have to say this post is earily similar to what I went through a few weeks ago. I hit the biggest buck I ever saw with a Killzone out of a Ten Point. He was quartering some as well and when the nock lit up on him, I saw it was too far forward. Found most of the arrow minus about 3 inches and the broadhead. Only blood we ever found was at shot site and would have probably fit inside a tee spoon. I haven?t seen him since but your cam pic gives me a little hope that he hopefully survived and was just pushed out of the area. It amazing what they take on and survive. Sorry you went through this as well.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Having the same thoughts. Thanks for the tip. I am aware to shoot for the exit :(. He came thru and I had an opening where I needed to stop him. That all went well and there was a tree that I thought was covering his shoulder. I was more concerned about shooting too far back because of this. May have over compensated and just got inside the tree, don't know.
I did the opposite. I ended up with a liver and a little gut shot on my buck this year because of a sapling that was just behind the shoulder. Because of that sapling I aimed a little farther back to make sure I wouldn't hit it.... Im used to them falling over in under 50 yards. 300-350 yards later was a long long blood trail to follow. It's easy to say but dont beat yourself up over it too much. You gave a great effort looking for the hit buck.

·
Registered
18,566 Posts
Keep your head up. I am sure you lost a lot of sleep over this. Any hunter that respects the game we hunt should have. The deer should survive, most likely. That is a tough deal for sure, but these things do happen. There are no guarantees when the arrow or bullet leaves the weapon.

·
Registered
855 Posts
He looks like he will survive as it appears to be a surface wound. We have seen deer survive worse hits. My dad shot a 10pt in the neck with a bow when I was around 8 or so, we tracked that thing for 4 hours before it got too far off our property. The farmer eventually shot it several weeks later in rifle season, it had a knot in its neck from the arrow passing through but looked like it was surviving just fine.

My brother on the other hand shot a buck last year that had an arrow broke off between the rib cage and the shoulder. It looked like someone shot straight down on him from a stand and the buck tensed up and stopped the arrow from exiting. He was still up and about although not doing so hot, infection was setting in and he most likely wouldn't have made it through the winter. As it stood the meat was all bad and had to be tossed.

Since your arrow seems to have simply glanced off the shoulder bone and isn't stuck in him he should heal up and be on his way.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Funny, I had the same thing happen to me on Saturday. Long story short, a nice 7pt came right to me, nose down. I was able to wait to shoot right when / where I wanted (xbow) at no more than 30 yards. He "jumped the string" and I hit him right in the shoulder (bone?). He ran off with my arrow in him. Searched until dark and then again with help on Sunday. Nada.

I'm told he's probably still out there, just a little annoyed.

The lesson, is I didn't aim low enough, so when he heard the bow go off, he ducked. It's my second season using the xbow, first true shot to take. The rest of the hunt was textbook. I have a lot of practice thru the bow, but it was so quiet in the woods Saturday that I was shocked at how loud it was when it went off. Shocked.

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2010/7/14/the-science-of-string-jumping/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts